What bourbon did you purchase today? Fall 2016

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rich, as expected it went VERY quick. I did hit some other stores with no luck. Serves me right for being a hog. ????

(Or trying to be a hog)

I stumbled across Elijah Craig Barrel Proof after work today. Not what I was looking for, but I had to grab it.

6 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Had an opportunity to score a PH at retail.    Had to think it over.    $250 is a while bunch of cheese for one bottle of Bourbon.... at least for me it is.

Ultimately, I couldn't say; "no."     ...Not to such a unique Bourbon.    Pre-fire, ultra-age, and been reviewed by several here as very special, so I pulled the trigger.

I'll wait a little to open it up... I have no idea why.

Congrats Rich! I went through the exact same thought process, although there were less comments by people who tried it last week. Feeling pretty good about the purchase and have not opened it yet, but it's calling me.

9 hours ago, WatchUrSix said:

I did leave one soldier behind. There was a bottle for 49.99 in Lavonia, GA. Downtown Bevarge. I had him down to 35$ and was going to get it on my return run. Is a bit far north but that is the only one I know about. My search was random calls driving through the state.

Almost every store I went into had the 90 proof Weller.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

thank you kind sir.  I'll investigate...

Unfortunately my guy saved a bottle of Parker's Heritage 24 year BIB....wasn't really interested in buying it until I started reading about the ALS contributions they make. Growing up I had a woman who was a second mother to me pass of ALS so it kind of struck a chord with me and I pulled the trigger. 

I believe they tripled the amount per bottle that typically goes for the cause on this release. Very good stuff to hopefully ultimately go towards finding a cure. What batch are most people seeing of PHC10?

Edited by JNeff33

7 hours ago, JNeff33 said:

I believe they tripled the amount per bottle that typically goes for the cause on this release. Very good stuff to hopefully ultimately go towards finding a cure. What batch are most people seeing of PHC10?

Mine went into the barrel in the Fall of 1990.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

Mine went into the barrel in the Fall of 1990.

I have the spring of 1991, would be curious to hear the differences. 

10 hours ago, mike9903 said:

I have the spring of 1991, would be curious to hear the differences. 

Hey!!!  Bring it over, and we'll do a carefully vetted side-by-side, eh? 

This would really be a fun thing to do, if we actually COULD get the two together.      Will you be in Bardstown for the Spring Sampler . . .  Well the last weekend in April, anyway.    That's when I'll be there.    I'd be happy to carry some of the PH down for this purpose, if you'll be there with yours.      What say you to that Mike?

After FacePlant's comment yesterday that Weller 12 was finally in our area, I went on a shopping trip to see if I could find any at the shops I spend the most time and money with. I must say that I really figured out who pays attention to their customers and wants to reward patronage and those who apparently just don't give a damn. Some shops just hadn't received any yet since their BT distributor doesn't come until tomorrow, but I've been promised at least one bottle at the shop that I probably frequent the most when their shipment comes in the morning.

Another small shop that generally has good prices on most stuff decided to mark theirs up to $60 bottle. I said no thanks when they told me the price for the one per person they would sell. I've made a mental note that it's probably not worth my money or time to shop there in the future.

Made my way to another favorite shop that I have started to spend a little money and time at over the last six months, and waited for the manager to free up with another customer. He asked how I was doing, and if there was anything in particular I was looking for today, and of course I asked if he had any Weller 12. He said I do, but I only received one case, so I can only sell you one to be fair to all my other regular customers. The price was $34.99 plus tax, which is fair. So I landed one bottle.

Several other smaller shops just didn't get any this time around, but will likely get some next month. However, there were at least a few shops that had clearly received some, but were less than genuine with their response when I asked if they had any. In one shop, the salesman clearly knew they had received some, but when he went in the back to check with the manager, he came back out and told me they didn't have any, which I could tell by the way he said it and the expression on his face that he was lying. I've tried to cultivate a relationship with the manager there and have spent a good bit of money in the store, but apparently not enough. He could have at least come out from behind the two way mirror in the store office to be honest with me and say that they were already spoken for or something. Perhaps he could have even said that he would hold one for me next time, but he didn't. This may be another store that I stop patronizing. Their prices aren't generally the best anyway, but it is in a convenient location.

Many shops had also received a case or more of OWA, but I have a good supply of that already, so I passed on adding any more to the bunker.

I also stumbled onto a couple more 1.75L EC12 bottles with the 12 year age statement on the front at a small store that I had never visited before today (FacePlant, thanks for the heads up on that store). The price was only $56.99, so I had to take a couple more home. I left two for someone else to find. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scored a CEHT SmB for $39 at a little grocery store with a tiny little liquor corner. Kept looking hoping to spot a $35 ETL or W12 or a lone BTAC but there was none...

Got a bottle of John B. Stetson. Never had it before, and I don't really expect it to be good, but it was clearanced out at the VA ABC stores and I got one of the last ones left at $23. I figured if it sucks I can at least use it to make BBQ sauce or something. Or give it to people who can't tell the difference between it and good bourbon.

Purchased a few more EC 12 1.75's for $45 today. Also bought some 2016 OFBB.

Cheers to everyone! Enjoy the little things Guys! Life is Good!

Walked into my local liquor store to buy a six pack at the request of my wife...sitting next to the counter was a little glass case with yaegermeister logos...in it a '16 GTS, Weller and Saz...they were $150 per, but I've never seen them together in the wild so I snagged all 3 - shop keep couldn't believe his eyes and told me he didn't think anyone would buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, grantsi said:

Walked into my local liquor store to buy a six pack at the request of my wife...sitting next to the counter was a little glass case with yaegermeister logos...in it a '16 GTS, Weller and Saz...they were $150 per, but I've never seen them together in the wild so I snagged all 3 - shop keep couldn't believe his eyes and told me he didn't think anyone would buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! I hope you bought a lottery ticket! It was your lucky day!!

Sure is a pretty bottle!

Absolutely nothing wrong with it but no better than half a dozen other readily available bourbons in my opinion.

On 10/3/2016 at 2:27 PM, BDanner said:

$30. Hope it lives up to the hype. 

2 minutes ago, Thig said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with it but no better than half a dozen other readily available bourbons in my opinion.

Huh... I've never had it, but have a couple bottles coming because of all the accolades it receives on here. I like the OWA well enough so I'm assuming I won't be disappointed at $30. I'm certain I've spent way more on lesser juice!

Stopped at Hillsdale Liquor in Portland on my way through town and bought a bottle of their FRSB PS OESO, 10yr, 2mo., 55.6% ABV, BN 31-2R.  It's replacing another OESO I've almost finished up.

Edited by Journeyman

Went to KY to visit family and do some "hunting" came back with

Buffalo Trace Store Selections

OKI 10 year

KC120 13yr 9 mo Store Selections

Willet Distilled Old Bardstown

Rock Hill Farms

Eagle Rare Store Select (east TN) and basic bottlings

Blanton's Mini's (haven't seen these in forever and wanted them for shelf decor)

EC12 with the red 12 on the front

Old Taylor

RY10SB (bought in NC, couldn't find in KY or TN at all)

A. Smith Bowman Wheat Release (thanks to a fellow SB'r)

1792 Full Proof (thanks to a fellow SB'r)

Four Roses Japanese Release through a friend in Bardstown

JB Single Barrel in a Gift Package with a decanter ($29.99 at Costco in Luavull)

A good week with my 92 year old dad and other family as well

My retailer really went to bat for me on the PHC (mostly by bitching at the distributor about not even getting one bottle!) and as a result it was a good if unexpected day yesterday, albeit an expensive one. I suppose I have spent more and gotten less! The PHC was at retail so I felt like that was worth the acquisition. The PHC is the batch from the Fall of 1990.

I was particularly curious about the Saz 18 as it is presumably the first year of whiskey not from the 1985 distillate that had been stored in the tanks for the past few years. My presumption is that it is the same source as Handy only older and of course cut to 90 proof.

That Stagg is might dark this year!

The latest batch of the ECBP at 136 pf was a further unexpected bottle. Wasn't really looking for one but recent good reviews made me throw it in. After all the damage has pretty much already been done, so what's a few more dollars at that point!

Stagg Sazerac PHC ECBP 2016.JPGStagg Sazerac ECBP 2016.JPG

Can't seem to get my phone to focus worth a damn, And yes, I have already broken into both the Saz and Stagg! I had gotten a heads up that they were available and after it was a Wednesday after all so some comparisons were inevitable...

Nice Haul!!!    Good for you, Bruce.    ...And, good for your retailer to' pound his boot on the table' a bit and get at least a little fair treatment.

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

My retailer really went to bat for me on the PHC (mostly by bitching at the distributor about not even getting one bottle!) and as a result it was a good if unexpected day yesterday, albeit an expensive one. I suppose I have spent more and gotten less! The PHC was at retail so I felt like that was worth the acquisition. The PHC is the batch from the Fall of 1990.

I was particularly curious about the Saz 18 as it is presumably the first year of whiskey not from the 1985 distillate that had been stored in the tanks for the past few years. My presumption is that it is the same source as Handy only older and of course cut to 90 proof.

That Stagg is might dark this year!

The latest batch of the ECBP at 136 pf was a further unexpected bottle. Wasn't really looking for one but recent good reviews made me throw it in. After all the damage has pretty much already been done, so what's a few more dollars at that point!

Stagg Sazerac PHC ECBP 2016.JPGStagg Sazerac ECBP 2016.JPG

Can't seem to get my phone to focus worth a damn, And yes, I have already broken into both the Saz and Stagg! I had gotten a heads up that they were available and after it was a Wednesday after all so some comparisons were inevitable...

Don't leave us hanging! How is the new non tanked Saz 18?

34 minutes ago, flahute said:

Don't leave us hanging! How is the new non tanked Saz 18?

My guess is that discussion will show up in a new Wednesday Tasting post at some point! Maybe even later today...

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.