What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

@OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
That looks like a legit tasting. How did the William Heavenhill stack up?

The William Heavenhill was tasty, but not $250 tasty. There are plenty of bottles I'd rather have at half that price of less. The Very Special Old Fitzgerald is just so damn smooth.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

The William Heavenhill was tasty, but not $250 tasty. There are plenty of bottles I'd rather have at half that price of less. The Very Special Old Fitzgerald is just so damn smooth.

At @$250 per bottle, I am living vicariously through you, my friend.  Your tasting is pretty cool. Thanks sharing!

Pikesville and HMck10 are among my favorites.

Edited by mbroo5880i

I am enjoying Maker's Mark 46 CS @112.3 proof.  Maybe a little too much!  :lol:

Friends who are more like family came over for a farewell/birthday dinner this evening as they are moving out of state which sucks. So in honor of our meal, figured it was high time to open last years FR SMBLE and it was fantastic!! I know it isn't as good as JR's last batch from 2015, but it still did the trick. 

After that, nothing sounded great, what would….so I had some HH6yrBIB as a night cap.

I enjoyed all of these, including the 25 year old "bad bourbon" at Heaven Hill. The Very Special Old Fitzgerald was hands down the best.
cd7cec63a710672473d4dee6b8bc5c65.jpg

Very nice how much do they charge for this tour? I want that VSOF12 but not going to pay $100+ for it.

Couple days late on this because it's been a busy weekend.

On Friday night I conducted a whiskey tasting with two colleagues. Background: every year our office teams up with a local brewery (whose space we designed) to conduct a charity auction for the Ronald McDonald House. The brewery provides a keg of a limited edition beer they produce specifically for the this charity (all proceeds from the sale of this beer city wide go to the charity). Our office pools our many talents to provide and procure items to auction off.

Myself and two colleagues offered a whiskey tasting in which we provided the bottles and the winner went home with three of them. The theme was to choose three different distilleries and taste their basic offering to get familiar with their house style, and then to taste their upper end offerings to see what extra age and barrel selection did to the whiskey. (Upper end offerings chosen to be readily available so the winner could go out and buy it if they were a convert).

We tasted:

BT, ER10, and Stagg Jr.

EC NAS, ECBP

4RSmB, 4R PS SiB OESV 10yr 1mo

Then as a bonus, a RRSiB that my group picked.

The auction winner and his two friends are not experienced bourbon drinkers so it was fun to see how their favorites changed as the tasting progressed. In the end, the clear winners were ECBP, Stagg Jr., and 4RSmB. (They loved the Russell's as well, but were choosing favorites to take home) They took those bottles home with them.

A friend of mine who was in town on short notice joined us so I brought extra booze so as not to cut into the stash that the auction winner would take home. In an absolute stand up move at the end of the night, he handed me a $100 bill and told me to give it to the charity. 

A very good night!

Sounds like a great charity fundraiser Steve. I served on the Board of Directors of the Ronald McDonald House of Memphis for over 10 years, so I know what a great organization Ronald McDonald House Charities is. I can't recall them ever having a fundraiser like that here, so I may steal that idea from you if you don't mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Sounds like a great charity fundraiser Steve. I served on the Board of Directors of the Ronald McDonald House of Memphis for over 10 years, so I know what a great organization Ronald McDonald House Charities is. I can't recall them ever having a fundraiser like that here, so I may steal that idea from you if you don't mind.

Go for it.

For context, this charity auction is completely conceived of and put on by us. 

The owner of the brewery drives it. Many years ago, he was befriended by a guy named Bob from Alaska. When Bob developed cancer, he had to come down to Seattle to seek treatment. The Ronald McDonald House stepped in to give his family housing while he battled cancer. He eventually passed away but it left a mark on the owner of the brewery. He created a special beer called Bob's Brown Ale, released once a year, with all proceeds going to Ronald McDonald House in recognition of the comfort they provided to Bob's family. 

The brewery hands out some kegs to non bars so long as they conceive of a way to raise money for the charity. The auction is our way. 

Having a pour before lunch(12 am here) on the front yard, watching my kid playing. I'm a happy man. 

Cheers!

Will.

IMG_8402.JPG

Very nice how much do they charge for this tour? I want that VSOF12 but not going to pay $100+ for it.

We'll, the "tour" is a sham. We sat in a room and watched a video / listened to the guide go through a PowerPoint. It cost $20 for the tasting. A little steep, but I did enjoy the tasting.

A nice dinner out with the Mrs last night. After we got home I had a 4R 2013 Small Batch LE before bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

We'll, the "tour" is a sham. We sat in a room and watched a video / listened to the guide go through a PowerPoint. It cost $20 for the tasting. A little steep, but I did enjoy the tasting.

Well on the other hand if you had some of those pours at a bar you would have paid that for one, when I was at HH our line up had nothing on that one, it was EC NAS, ECBP, 25 yr old Bad Whiskey, McKenna & Pikesville. 

13 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Sorry for not asking this sooner, but what constitutes "bad whiskey" in their minds? Is this just something they think is aged too long and too heavily oaked, or is there some other factor at play? I'm curious if others respond favorably to the bad whiskey and this is somehow an experiment to gauge the level of interest in certain barrels or group of barrels. What do they have to lose after all? 

I have been trying to enjoy a couple things lately though more for medicinal purposes at the moment. For a week+ I have been battling a hellacious chest infection/head cold and flu thing. A liitle OGD BiB was acquired during travels  in Indy and while good I could tell my senses were dulled by eveything raging in my system, 4RSB a few days later showed similar results. Hopefully by weeks end I will be back to normal and will start actually enjoying pours again.

10 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

Sorry for not asking this sooner, but what constitutes "bad whiskey" in their minds? Is this just something they think is aged too long and too heavily oaked, or is there some other factor at play? I'm curious if others respond favorably to the bad whiskey and this is somehow an experiment to gauge the level of interest in certain barrels or group of barrels. What do they have to lose after all? 

When I was there it was very much over oaked.

I enjoyed a mid afternoon romp in the sheets followed with some Blanton's and a side of water.  ;)

IMG_0006.JPG

On 6/4/2017 at 3:13 PM, Jkersh said:

Bottles at 107 so it's hotter than "regular" Magnus. It's a great pour and not over powered by Sherry. Can't decide if I prefer this or standard issue magnus 

Enjoy them both!

I have not had anything bad from Magnus, except their pricing structure.  :)

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Couple days late on this because it's been a busy weekend.

On Friday night I conducted a whiskey tasting with two colleagues. Background: every year our office teams up with a local brewery (whose space we designed) to conduct a charity auction for the Ronald McDonald House. The brewery provides a keg of a limited edition beer they produce specifically for the this charity (all proceeds from the sale of this beer city wide go to the charity). Our office pools our many talents to provide and procure items to auction off.

Myself and two colleagues offered a whiskey tasting in which we provided the bottles and the winner went home with three of them. The theme was to choose three different distilleries and taste their basic offering to get familiar with their house style, and then to taste their upper end offerings to see what extra age and barrel selection did to the whiskey. (Upper end offerings chosen to be readily available so the winner could go out and buy it if they were a convert).

We tasted:

BT, ER10, and Stagg Jr.

EC NAS, ECBP

4RSmB, 4R PS SiB OESV 10yr 1mo

Then as a bonus, a RRSiB that my group picked.

The auction winner and his two friends are not experienced bourbon drinkers so it was fun to see how their favorites changed as the tasting progressed. In the end, the clear winners were ECBP, Stagg Jr., and 4RSmB. (They loved the Russell's as well, but were choosing favorites to take home) They took those bottles home with them.

A friend of mine who was in town on short notice joined us so I brought extra booze so as not to cut into the stash that the auction winner would take home. In an absolute stand up move at the end of the night, he handed me a $100 bill and told me to give it to the charity. 

A very good night!

Like you said Steve, a very good night. Looks like it was a really nice tasting and a very good gesture by your friend. Talk about a win win.

Cheers! Joe

It's been a bit since I had an open 4R SB, so I decided to crack this OBSQ. I don't believe I have had a Q bottle to date this one is definitely floral and big on the OAK, a touch of water calmed it down a little but really I'm looking forward to seeing how this evolves over time. Either way not bad for $55.

WP_20170605_20_33_12_Pro.jpg

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

I enjoyed a mid afternoon romp in the sheets followed with some Blanton's and a side of water.  ;)

IMG_0006.JPG

That is entirely more information than required DC. :wacko:

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

It's been a bit since I had an open 4R SB, so I decided to crack this OBSQ. I don't believe I have had a Q bottle to date this one is definitely floral and big on the OAK, a touch of water calmed it down a little but really I'm looking forward to seeing how this evolves over time. Either way not bad for $55.

Chased this with a small pour of MMCS to confirm I still don't like it, then the latest WTRB batch (old bottle though) which honestly tasted a bit young so I added a touch of the OBSQ which is 11 yrs 6 months, and man this makes for a nice pour.

Went to dinner for our anniversary (24) tonight at Bonefish Grill and it was $5 Martini Monday. She had a couple pineapple and I had a sage/pomegranate one (too sweet) and an Ultimate Dirty which was pretty good.

Now back home and having our free cheesecake and some ECBP.  Much better!

Having some Booker's Batch 2015-06 Noe Secret tonight. After drinking about 1/2 of this bottle off and on over the last few months, I have to say that I love Booker's. This is really good bourbon. I'm not sure it's $75 good, but I'd buy it all day long at Stagg Jr. and ECBP prices. Of course I'm also glad that KCSiB is still priced around $40.

7 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

That is entirely more information than required DC. :wacko:

Hey, life is good especially with the Nats going 6-1 on their roadtrip so far. ;)

I had these last night. The 46 hit the spot last night.
c695da6f24b9ae3c15c3b13224573b2c.jpg21ec5ea5be512a979db288aa762d8676.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.