What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I had these last night. The 46 hit the spot last night.
c695da6f24b9ae3c15c3b13224573b2c.jpg21ec5ea5be512a979db288aa762d8676.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nice selections there.  You might want to keep that whipped cream away from DCFan though.  He would probably use it "between the sheets" :D

Edited by CardsandBourbon

Nice selections there.  You might want to keep that whipped cream away from DCFan though.  He would probably use it "between the sheets" [emoji3]

DCFan can get great deals on whipped cream at Costco.

Just now, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

DCFan can get great deals on whipped cream at Costco.

This is veering waaaay off topic quickly. 

This is veering waaaay off topic quickly. 

I'm glad he had some mid-day Blanton's, though, which is hard to find at Costco.

5 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I'm glad he had some mid-day Blanton's, though, which is hard to find at Costco.

I agree, Blanton's at anytime of the day, even mid day is good.  Whew, I think you and I got this thing back on topic.

5 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I agree, Blanton's at anytime of the day, even mid day is good.  Whew, I think you and I got this thing back on topic.

Ah, good memories and a little bourbon to wash 'em down. Skip the whip cream tho. :D

First time trying Bookers Rye at a bar and I am stunned, this shit is delicious

Forgot to mention I pre gamed that bookers rye with pours of bookers 25th and saz 18. Go all out ya know, cause it's Tuesday 

51 minutes ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Forgot to mention I pre gamed that bookers rye with pours of bookers 25th and saz 18. Go all out ya know, cause it's Tuesday 

Nice!

3 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

First time trying Bookers Rye at a bar and I am stunned, this shit is delicious

True words.  

A little 4R OBSK side x side action tonight.  These two are very close in age and alcohol %, so I think this makes a really great comparo.

The one on the right is 8yrs, 4mths (54.1%)  from Hi-Time/Toddy's (Bardstown)

+ strong aromas of alcohol spiked spice cake, flavors heavy in wood, caramel, slight berries, a good spicy rye bite, rich and almost buttery as it glides down and sort of dangles for a moment at the back of your tongue.  Nice easy burn.....errr I mean finish....down the throat  (definitely one of my favorite bottles of any 4R to date).

The on on the left is a 8yrs, 6mths (52.1%)  private group pick (barrel named "Yankee Blue Jeans") that I got in a sample swap.

+ lots of ethanol on the nose with perhaps an essence of fresh white cake batter? -werid...yeah...i know.  Tastes immediately of a dry, southwestern style heat, with a splash of peppery red raspberries mixed in.  The back end tastes of smooth, sweet caramel and middle aged wood, with a very mellow finish going down.  Spicy rye lingers and burns elegantly on the tongue like a candle.

Both of these are so drastically different that it sort of caught me off guard.  They are the same recipe and practically the same age/alcohol.  Tasting blindly, I would have never pegged them to both be OBSK's.

In the end, I am still partial to my bottle on the right.  Nothing against the other one, but mine is just really darn good!

IMAG2075.jpg

Edited by 0895

Had a bowl of homemade peach cobbler and washed it down with some 4R Small Batch.  Followed that up with some WRDO.

4 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

Now that is how you pre game!!!!!!! Excellent choices all around. Curious as to what your ranking would be for the three of them in order of best to "worst"?

Doing a SBS of two ER10 private selections from different stores, one that was picked a few years ago and one recent pick. At first the recent pick seemed like a standout as it has good depth (brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon), but the older one is no slouch either, although it has slightly different flavor (caramel, cherry). Not sure I can pick a favorite between the two, they're both excellent. I know others have commented recently how good some of the ER10 private selections are, and I have to agree, but I think this has been true for a while.

53 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Had a bowl of homemade peach cobbler and washed it down with some 4R Small Batch.  Followed that up with some WRDO.

I want to hang out with this guy! ^^^^

OK, I haven't tried this or even seen it in stores, but I absolutely loved the look of this bottle of Lusty Claw Bourbon. It just popped up on my Instagram feed and I wondered if anybody on here has had it.
Picture by @eaglelovingbaconeaterb4fd48f143239dcfd9292739de1302ac.jpg

1 hour ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

OK, I haven't tried this or even seen it in stores, but I absolutely loved the look of this bottle of Lusty Claw Bourbon. It just popped up on my Instagram feed and I wondered if anybody on here has had it.
Picture by @eaglelovingbaconeaterb4fd48f143239dcfd9292739de1302ac.jpg

I've not had it but the reviews I have seen are pretty rough, price is nuts for 3 year old bourbon as well

https://www.bourbonbanter.com/drink/drink-reviews/bourbon-reviews/lusty-claw-bourbon-review/#.WThbfIWcHDc

@eaglelovingbaconeater love it. His instagram is a riot.

Also Lusty Claw what a great name.

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

I want to hang out with this guy! ^^^^

Hop on over to bourbon nirvana and we'll share some cobbler and a pour. 

Revisiting a couple of pours that I had been less than impressed with earlier, Henry McKenna 10 year single barrel 100 proof & Old Fitzgerald BIB. Maybe my palate was off before because I'm really enjoying them tonight. Not getting that huge acetone nose from the HM like last time & the OF has much more depth than before.

Since I had 2 BIB pours I decided to make it a triple play and poured a wee bit of CEHT Small Batch BIB to finish the night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

Big creamy pour of a just-opened VOB BIB "6".  My only problem with it is I tend to want to gulp it down.

Took the 9yr Belle Meade SiB from VABC to the Whiskey Den last night - of course the animals almost finished it!  Not much on the nose, but the palate really delivered with layers of caramel and toffee followed by a medium to long finish.  Superb stuff destined to be restocked in August in Richmond.   :D 

20170317_111010_1489765780437_resized.jpg

My first pour was a 4R PS OESO 9yo 4 month old and now some CEHT BP 127.5

Cheers! 

Will.

3 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

My first pour was a 4R PS OESO 9yo 4 month old and now some CEHT BP 127.5

Cheers! 

Will.

I have a CEHT BP 127.5 that I haven't opened. How is it?  I'm looking over my bottle and don't see the Bottled In Bond statement anywhere on it. I thought all the CEHT products where BIB. Am I wrong?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.