What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 2/16/2021 at 6:48 PM, Guss West said:

"I was out running errands today" and came across the newly-updated WT101 bottling.  While I certainly miss the old Austin Nichols labels of 20 years ago (and their cyprus-wood fermenter-funky contents!); I rather like the 21st-century look of the new bottle and label.  The "wax drip" glass embossed turkey is artsy.

Noticed a few old-label handles toward the back of the shelf with LL/II laser code.  

The new-label handles had laser code LL/IK.  Yes, I bought one of each.  Actually stashed away six of the old-label handles from LL/G-LL/I when I heard of the new label; just because I can never have too much turkey!     

Handles of WT101 have become my "scratch the itch" bottle when I find myself looking to buy some more whiskey I don't need.  At $40/handle, WT101 is easily the best value for money in my whiskey stash!!  

Keep Calm and Gobble On.  

IMG_0438.thumb.jpg.f5b7219768f6c625c794af724de28aed.jpg

I like the new bottle design but wish it had an old school handle.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I like the new bottle design but wish it had an old school handle.

My understanding is that these are being phased out due to cost and increased breakage?  

To my thinking, the situation simply requires an elegant solution.  Find the coolest vintage or retro magnum caddy money can buy!  

So, I was going to “run some errands” today, but had to cancel my plans. Long story. <_<

Biba! Joe

26 minutes ago, Guss West said:

My understanding is that these are being phased out due to cost and increased breakage?  

To my thinking, the situation simply requires an elegant solution.  Find the coolest vintage or retro magnum caddy money can buy!  

Certainly a cost thing, from production, storage you name it.  Still I’d pay a $0.50 or so to cover it.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Guss West said:

Due to breakage?  After 60 years of the same handle, geniuses now determine; “breakage is a problem.”  Bravo, Campari!  🙄

Yet another EWSB, and grabbed a New Riff BIB to try from Total Wine after tasting it...this one's unique so far...

• I like it 2

On 2/18/2021 at 6:23 PM, Guss West said:

Find the coolest vintage or retro magnum caddy money can buy!  

Example by chance?

I've always thought it would be cool to have one of those upside-down liter rigs that bars in Europe (maybe elsewhere?)  I think used to use.  Of course I'd rather the bottle makers just keep making the 1.75 with real handles.  I like the old school finger jugs.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, B3Nut said:

Yet another EWSB, and grabbed a New Riff BIB to try from Total Wine after tasting it...this one's unique so far...

I've turned into a New Riff whore.  I really like it, especially the barrel proof.   A friend of mine in KY picks it up for me, when it goes on sale, at her local LS.     To keep it OT, I snagged a couple bottles of OGD114   $28.99 OTD

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

Just do a little google-fu for bottle caddies, my favorites are the antique ones for Champaign or Johnny Walker.  I've seen some modern ones made from aluminum with some sleek lines and angles that looked pretty sexy. 

I've avoided buying one since it will just add to the clutter.  Maybe someday, if/when I have a whiskey room to display my whole collection...

I've never ponied up for one myself since my solution is to simply decant handles into more manageable bottles that fit in my liquor locker.  101 goes in the old austin nichols and KS turkey fan bottles.  ER10 goes in the "horsey" bottles, RHF and Blantons.  

Also wanted to mention that I opened the new-label WT101 the other day and compared it to another open bottle of 101 from last year.  Rest assured, it was right on profile and delicious as ever.  I was concerned about the reports of some problems with a couple LL/IB batches but that seems to have been corrected.  

Keep Calm and Gobble On!  

• I like it 4

Not a purchase but a gift from my neighbor.  I have been helping her and her kids for a week or so to load up  the furniture for her move.  Today we finished.  As I was leaving, her son handed me this as a thank you for the help.

I have never owned a bottle, I am looking forward to opening this one.  Maybe for my birthday, seems appropriate.

F547F55E-AF73-4447-98F7-A2E4BF40A6BB.jpeg

• I like it 15

5 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Not a purchase but a gift from my neighbor.  I have been helping her and her kids for a week or so to load up  the furniture for her move.  Today we finished.  As I was leaving, her son handed me this as a thank you for the help.

I have never owned a bottle, I am looking forward to opening this one.  Maybe for my birthday, seems appropriate.

That’s a pretty nice present. Well earned my friend. Ya’ done good.👍

Biba! Joe

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good Times barrel pick and a couple of old reliables...

20210220_162608.jpg

I picked up an old reliable today, myself!  😁

• I like it 3

Actually went to the local today to buy beer. Yes, you heard that right. A local brewery just released their annual bourbon barrel aged stout and I particularly like this one because it's so balanced. It's not overly influenced by the bourbon barrel. 

But this is a bourbon thread!

I of course could not help myself to look in the bourbon aisle.

I came home with a Baker's SiB, a WT101, and a 4R OBSK barrel pick (the one I participated in - the owner decided to release some more that he'd been holding back).

It was a VERY good day.

• I like it 8

I stopped at an out of the way liquor store I don’t go to very often. Mostly run of the mill stuff with so-so prices. However, they did have MMCS for $37.99. Yes, I bought one. And yes, it appears that it was dipped by “my gal” at MM. 😁

Biba! Joeimage.thumb.jpeg.5d41fbdd3ed19a20d0a9d5eb85cab344.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b23fbd7c89c69c522b92be32ad8dd33c.jpeg

• I like it 2

Mrs. Skinsfan came home with these today.  Prices were fair too. $53.99 for the KC12 and $38.99 for the Rare Breed.  

20210221_193157.jpg

• I like it 12

On 2/20/2021 at 6:55 PM, markandrex said:

Wow!  Awesome thank you gift!

22 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I stopped at an out of the way liquor store I don’t go to very often. Mostly run of the mill stuff with so-so prices. However, they did have MMCS for $37.99. Yes, I bought one. And yes, it appears that it was dipped by “my gal” at MM. 😁

Biba! Joeimage.thumb.jpeg.5d41fbdd3ed19a20d0a9d5eb85cab344.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b23fbd7c89c69c522b92be32ad8dd33c.jpeg

I would love to know if anyone here has compared the 20-04 to the 20-03! They had a lot of the -04 at the store when I was there last week.

54 minutes ago, lemonman said:

I would love to know if anyone here has compared the 20-04 to the 20-03! They had a lot of the -04 at the store when I was there last week.

If you like MM products, I’d say go ahead and grab one if the price is right. The bottle I have is pretty tasty. The MM 101’s that I have are better, but not by a lot. Just my opinion mind you, and YMMV.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.