What bottle did you open today? - 2022

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Opened up a W12, this one is a recent batch.  The profile seems different from the “pot still” bottle.  Will see what it brings. 

Cheers 

• I like it 2

Bought a 1L of WT101, just opened it, and am sipping on a bit over a cube while finishing cooking dinner.

• I like it 1

A very welcome VOB 90 proof at the end of a challenging day at the plastic factory.  Today was a day that reminded that as hard as we might try to put forth clear and concise communication to others, sometimes the receiver(s) just have to posture in any way that blunts the message, regardless of what the message may be…A Stagg may be needed next…Though, this VOB is wonderful.  

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

A very welcome VOB 90 proof at the end of a challenging day at the plastic factory.  Today was a day that reminded that as hard as we might try to put forth clear and concise communication to others, sometimes the receiver(s) just have to posture in any way that blunts the message, regardless of what the message may be…A Stagg may be needed next…Though, this VOB is wonderful.  

Quote of the day!

Stopped into the ABC to bunker a couple of JD Bonded’s, and found this sitting on the shelf. You’ll notice it’s the new UN label, which indicates 100% homegrown juice. No more sourcing for these fine TN folks. 

I popped it tonight of course, and as a big TN whiskey junkie, I quite like it. I’ve heard it’s about five years old, and I can tell you there are zero signs of crafty, new make distillate here. It comes across like a classy, more complex, 93 proof JD. Not exactly the same mind you, but the lingering finish certainly reminds me of a really well made JD product. 

I never ticked their Dickel sourced stuff, but I’m into this. For $50 or so, I’ll be keeping a bottle around from here on out. 

9E8C4E03-91B9-45FF-A8B1-335F8F34CC98.jpeg

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

A BT..

Me too @Kjbarth. A ps handle. 🙂 I normally wouldn’t have opened this because I have a BT open, but I’m not gonna make the same mistake twice. A few years ago I bought a ps handle of BT, I didn’t open it for six weeks or so because I already had an open 750. I finally opened  it and it was stellar. I went back to grab another and they’d sold the last bottle earlier in the week. 😏 Lesson learned.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

Having my first our of Rebel.  Was afraid it would remind me of Rebel Yell from my youth but this actually quite enjoyable.

• I like it 2

On 6/10/2022 at 9:17 PM, Rhettro said:

Stopped into the ABC to bunker a couple of JD Bonded’s, and found this sitting on the shelf. You’ll notice it’s the new UN label, which indicates 100% homegrown juice. No more sourcing for these fine TN folks. 

I popped it tonight of course, and as a big TN whiskey junkie, I quite like it. I’ve heard it’s about five years old, and I can tell you there are zero signs of crafty, new make distillate here. It comes across like a classy, more complex, 93 proof JD. Not exactly the same mind you, but the lingering finish certainly reminds me of a really well made JD product. 

I never ticked their Dickel sourced stuff, but I’m into this. For $50 or so, I’ll be keeping a bottle around from here on out. 

9E8C4E03-91B9-45FF-A8B1-335F8F34CC98.jpeg

Agreed.

I tried some at a bar and was impressed enough to buy a bottle.   I snagged one on sale...I think I paid around $40.00 for it.   

• I like it 1

I figured, why not? I opened my newly acquired Rebel 10 in celebration of Father's Day + may have the opportunity to score another if it is worth it; I'll give it a try. 2 birds, ya know.

Since I have a large pot of spaghetti sauce with meatballs on the stove, I'll allow the pour to open up for a while.

Happy Father's Day, All!!!

reb10.jpg

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 8

Opened up a special bottle for Father's Day.  Best wishes to all of the other Dads out there!

Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend.jpg

• I like it 13

First pour from a fresh bottle of Old Tub.  My favorite baseball-watching whiskey. ⚾

• I like it 3

Got this as a Christmas gift back in 2020.  Finally getting around to opening it.  It’s pretty darn good.  I think what works here is the barrel blending.

Younger (4-7 years), newer single barrel releases of MGP can sometimes give off a lemongrass profile that isn’t my favorite.  This particular blend keeps everything in check and quite nicely.

IMO Smooth Ambler is missing an opportunity here by not doing barrel proof blends of current MGP bourbon stocks.

Anyway.

As much as I wanted to hate this bottle because of the tater nonsense that typically surrounds it,  I can’t.  It’s good.

AF30A856-E489-478E-9FD4-9272532C0F5D.jpeg

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

Got this as a Christmas gift back in 2020.  Finally getting around to opening it.  It’s pretty darn good.  I think what works here is the barrel blending.

Younger (4-7 years), newer single barrel releases of MGP can sometimes give off a lemongrass profile that isn’t my favorite.  This particular blend keeps everything in check and quite nicely.

IMO Smooth Ambler is missing an opportunity here by not doing barrel proof blends of current MGP bourbon stocks.

Anyway.

As much as I wanted to hate this bottle because of the tater nonsense that typically surrounds it,  I can’t.  It’s good.

Did you have to stab the bottle first to kill it before opening?  That's a hellavu knife. 

• I like it 2

55 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Did you have to stab the bottle first to kill it before opening?  That's a hellavu knife. 

it was a helluva fight.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

Anyway.

I've seen these pop up and disappear quick near me. Always stayed away, somewhat turned off by the hype/nonsense. But I must say, with all the good reviews I'm reading, I may need to buy the next I see, as long as it's at, or around the $65 I have seen it for in the past.

I opened a MM 101 last night. 😊

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

18 hours ago, 0895 said:

Anyway.

35 minutes ago, JakeySnakes said:

I've seen these pop up and disappear quick near me. Always stayed away, somewhat turned off by the hype/nonsense. But I must say, with all the good reviews I'm reading, I may need to buy the next I see, as long as it's at, or around the $65 I have seen it for in the past.

I also avoided these for a long time for the same reason (hype nonsense) but I finally was presented one at a decent price several months ago and caved during a weak moment.  I haven't opened mine yet but I'm sure I'll like it.  Heard too many good things and have too much positive experience with other good MGP (SAOS) not to have an open mind.  I'm just glad I stocked up on SAOS at $50ish to not worry about these at a higher price. 

Having said that, if it's good MGP liquid, to me it would be well worth $65 all day long if you can find it at that.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

I'm just glad I stocked up on SAOS at $50ish to not worry about these at a higher price. 

Having said that, if it's good MGP liquid, to me it would be well worth $65 all day long if you can find it at that.

Just keep an open mind that this is more on par with profiles of other current/similar MGP bottles in the younger age crowd.  

I guess what I mean by that is don't expect well aged oak and cherries goodness.  It's a little rough around the edges.  :)

• I like it 1

Mindlessly sipped some M10 bourbon while marinating some chicken for tomorrow. Not my favorite so just cracked this ECBP B522. 

I can’t comment on the nose as my hands still smell like chicken schwarma rub. Coriander and cumin. Liquid caramel on the palate and dangerously easy drinking. 

21D6A82A-BABC-48CC-9E0B-BA2DA6E8AFEB.jpeg

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.