What Bourbon Are You Drinking Fall 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, kcgumbohead said:

New Riff rye while enjoying a fire on this chilly ATL evening, I love this stuff, both NR and the fireplace.

Sounds like a great time!  I started a 5 day vacation this week.  Enjoyed a couple of pours of ECBP.  Done for the evening.  

• I like it 3

On 10/18/2022 at 7:30 PM, Anwalt said:

Happy Anniversary!  That's a good run, roughly 13,505 days of not waking up dead via spousicide!

Like, Towelee, I have no idea what’s going on here.

I fixed dinner tonight start to finish - only n hour late BUT it was more than edible.  Celebrating this minor success with ONLY 2 ounces of MM pvt select (Magruders) 108.5 Abv.  Staves:

3 baked American Pure 2

3 seared French cuvee

2 roasted Frenchmocha

2 toasted French spice

Yeah, this stave poop sure LOOKS like a gimmick, but I’ve tried a dozen or so stave combos and there really IS a difference batch to batch.

This one?  Magruders uses three guys to do the store pick.  My good fortune is — they tend to like what I like.  This one is creamy, drinks below its proof so BEWARE, and has no bite.

EDIT - Over ice, of course.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Clarification that I not be a sot. Maybe.
  • I like it 4

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Like, Towelee, I have no idea what’s going on here.

🤣 

I'm married to a Latina who thinks Lorena Bobbitt "was an amateur" because "dey cood feeks heem". I'm not kidding, that is her oft-expressed opinion.  She explains in awful detail how she'd not allow for such possibilities were her ire sufficiently provoked.

It somewhat colors my perception of marriage.

For example:

1) Wake up

2) Don't move

3) Eye's to six o'clock.  All's well?

4) Reaffirm:  Woke up.  Means no holes in throat, femoral artery still intact, etc.

5) Conclude:  It's a new day.  Wifey is sufficiently happy.  Keep it that way.

6) Repeat.

So just wishing happy anniversary through my own prism.

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

🤣 

I'm married to a Latina who thinks Lorena Bobbitt "was an amateur" because "dey cood feeks heem". I'm not kidding, that is her oft-expressed opinion.  She explains in awful detail how she'd not allow for such possibilities were her ire sufficiently provoked.

It somewhat colors my perception of marriage.

For example:

1) Wake up

2) Don't move

3) Eye's to six o'clock.  All's well?

4) Reaffirm:  Woke up.  Means no holes in throat, femoral artery still intact, etc.

5) Conclude:  It's a new day.  Wifey is sufficiently happy.  Keep it that way.

6) Repeat.

So just wishing happy anniversary through my own prism.

This brings a whole new dimension to the term SWMBO. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

This brings a whole new dimension to the term SWMBO.

Right?

Of course, sometimes I'm just expected to "know" without any of that cumbersome communication.  Not that any of you would be familiar with that phenomenon.....

• I like it 5

45 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

Right?

Of course, sometimes I'm just expected to "know" without any of that cumbersome communication.  Not that any of you would be familiar with that phenomenon.....

So you’re saying that if you get “the look”, it might already be too late?  🙄

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

So you’re saying that if you get “the look”, it might already be too late?  🙄

Biba! Joe

Except when she says it's "fine".  Then you can breath easy, right?...

Edited by fosmith
  • I like it 4

Vacation day again tomorrow so that means a fishing day. Weather is warming, weekend looks great.

Starting the weekend off with some  4RSB

thumbnail (9).jpeg

• I like it 8

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Sorry to derail the thread but I'm drinking some bourbon...

20221020_210324.jpg

That sounds like an exceptional idea for the evening.  Cheers!

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, fosmith said:

Except when she says it's "fine".  Then you can breath easy, right?...

No, not yet!  You have to wait another 5 years  to get clear - then maybe . . . . . .  🤣

I just have another wee dram of Blanton's Gold and then just go to sleep.  If I wake up, all's the better.  🤩

• I like it 3

On 10/18/2022 at 9:45 PM, kcgumbohead said:

The single barrel barrel proof bottles (black label) can be outstanding, the couple I have hold their own with anything else in my bunker.

That may be the case but I have no faith in Mega-Bevs selections, I have purchased a couple of their other barrel picks and they seem to prefer everything that I dislike in a bourbon.  Obviously others will disagree with that statement and my advice for store singe barrel pick is that as along at their preferences align with yours then you will be okay and it may be worth having a discussion with the store manager.

Also, an upcharge from an MRSP of 39.95 to 79.95 seemed a bit steep to me.  Maybe they were getting around the liquor control prices?

1 hour ago, anthony. g. said:

really enioying this.

IMG20221021201847.jpg

EHT Small Batch really is good whiskey.  I’ve enjoyed every one I’ve had.  Hard to find, but when I see one on a shelf my spend limit definitely expands if challenged!  🤣

• I like it 5

I was in a store today that I haven’t visited in some time.  I decided to pick up a Maker’s 46.  Hadn’t bought one since the switch to the new packaging (which I hate, BTW).  The store also had their own pick of Maker’s with some mix of staves.  Bought it, too…….. trying both now. And, as has been the case in every single PS Maker’s I’ve had for years when compared to standard 46, the standard 46 is clearly better to my palate.  Maybe, there’s something to the 46 trial and error experiments that led to “46”.

• I like it 3

My trashcan OGD BIB decanter (i.e., ancient OGD BIB bottle with the orange screw top and a price sticker of $18.99) is empty, and the refill fake cork filler is on an upper shelf, and I don't feel like getting the ladder out.  HENCE!!  I am sipping on a JD Black BIB (which legally/lawfully meets the regulatory definition of "bourbon" and "bonded") so posting in this thread is OK.

I shoulda used a glass instead of just tipping up the bottle, but I'd have to go on the kitchen, and SWMBO is in there making dinner and may throw hot water on me to drive me out.  Just kidding. 😉 Sort of.:rolleyes:  Maybe not.🙄  Well, yeah.:o  Or not.B)

• I like it 6

17 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I was in a store today that I haven’t visited in some time.  I decided to pick up a Maker’s 46.  Hadn’t bought one since the switch to the new packaging (which I hate, BTW).  The store also had their own pick of Maker’s with some mix of staves.  Bought it, too…….. trying both now. And, as has been the case in every single PS Maker’s I’ve had for years when compared to standard 46, the standard 46 is clearly better to my palate.  Maybe, there’s something to the 46 trial and error experiments that led to “46”.

Just curious @smokinjoe.  How much was the ps MM?  One store here used to have them for $49.99. They received two different ones in recently, and the price is now $59.99. Binny’s has a few different ones for $69.99. 😒

Biba! Joe

Sitting out front with a wonderful pour of a PS Rebel Cask Strength.  It’s a crisp evening here Down South, and the local high school marching band is filling the air with their horns and drums at the Football game a few streets over.  Sounds like they may be winning, as they are banging it out loud…It’s Fall Y’all!!  🏈 🍁 🔥 🥁 🎺 

• I like it 5

10 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

That may be the case but I have no faith in Mega-Bevs selections, I have purchased a couple of their other barrel picks and they seem to prefer everything that I dislike in a bourbon.  Obviously others will disagree with that statement and my advice for store singe barrel pick is that as along at their preferences align with yours then you will be okay and it may be worth having a discussion with the store manager.

Also, an upcharge from an MRSP of 39.95 to 79.95 seemed a bit steep to me.  Maybe they were getting around the liquor control prices?

I have only tried the standard 93 proof version.  I bought it at the local Meijer for $24,99.  Prior to this, the normal price locally seemed to be between $40 and $50.  I have now noticed it is generally less than $35 at most stores.  The same Meijer has a store pick at barrel strength for $50.  I doubt I will pick one up. The local Meijer tends to have a decent number of "store picks."  They usually say "Indiana Pick" or something like that.  I have always suspected they don't pick the barrel.

Tonight is a Heaven Hill night for me.

EW 1783 90 prf Small Batch to kick things off. Check. It tasted great so I decided to just stick with HH.

Next pour was HH6BiB which kept the palate grooving. Check.

Now I'm enjoying this EC12 year old style bottle.  Check, check and check. ✅

• I like it 6

Weller Special Reserve began the night's activities. Now let's leap over a few rungs in the ladder straight to the 1792 Full Proof. 

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.