What Bourbon Are You Drinking Fall 2022

PaulO
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tonights I’m having a ps BT from Schnuck’s. It’s not earth shattering by any means, but it’s still BT😋

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I saw this on sale today for $19.99.  Your thoughts?  

If I had a full proof pour that large, my thoughts might not be coherent😁

Had a dram of Platte Valley corn whiskey. I like this stuff. Sweet, oily, easy to drink. 

• I like it 3

Youngest Daughter, former holder of the coveted Worst Child Status, is visiting PR.  Headed for a very nice dinner at 5 pm.  Pre-gaming with ECBP B522.  This is getting hard.  I know what I have at home is better and cheaper.  And so I feel the need to pregame.  

I assume this is normal for You People.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Sven Heuchert said:

Had a dram of Platte Valley corn whiskey. I like this stuff. Sweet, oily, easy to drink. 

Off topic, but looking to take advantage of your German-ness.  I was just informed that Amazon Germany will ship to Paris.  I looked at some of what they have and saw one or two interesting ones.  Are there other German outfits that do the same?  I've heard tell that deals might be found.  I have a friend in Paris with a permanent address and I shall be taking him to dinner circa 10/30.

All tips welcome!

PS:  Don't know if you saw the piece on Herr Vietinghoff et al.

20 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I saw this on sale today for $19.99.  Your thoughts?  

Its good for the price. I have another bottle, but Im not going to open it anytime soon. I would rather add a few dollars and get standard BT

• I like it 2

Pulled this from the bunker. Didn't have high expectations based on reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. It's quite good, especially with a splash of water

IMG_5157.jpeg

• I like it 8

On 10/2/2022 at 3:59 PM, TwoFingers said:

WT101 watching Washington lose to Dallas.  

You watched?  I passed and spent the night watching bland TV mystery movies on those stations in the 200s that run lots of public service adverts..  I betcha I had the more interesting night. hahahahaha

Tonight's imbibement:

A shot of HH BIB 7YR and then a shot of VOB 100 and then a drink I made up - Apple Brandy Buck: one ounce vodka, one ounce peach brandy (60 proof - if it'd been a real peach brandy, I'd have bumped the brandy and dropped the vodka), a few drops of lemon juice, a half ounce of OJ.

Put all this in a 7-8 ounce OF glass with six or so ice cubes.  Top off with ginger ale (which is what makes this a "Buck").

Stir a little., Is WONDERFUL with seafood, Asian-style dishes, etc.  The fruity notes work well with Asian cooking (other than Thai which is pepper-centric), not so much with South American.  There's not enough citrus to assuage the heat of peppers. 

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Just notoced the OP was 2 OCT; I speaking about 13 OCT vs. Bears)
  • I like it 3

2 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Pulled this from the bunker. Didn't have high expectations based on reviews, but was pleasantly surprised. It's quite good, especially with a splash of water

IMG_5157.jpeg

Not sure about the whiskey, but I bet many of us have this glass!

• I like it 1

Tonight's pours.  OE7 BS.  Bottle empty.  I am sad but I enjoyed the experience.  WT101.  Less expensive yet equally enjoyable.  Sure, I would pick up another bottle OE7 BS but WT101 is a readily available option.  David Crosby would say "love the one you're with."  So true.  

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

Sipping on some bourbon while watching a little baseball and catching up here on SB.

I started with Elijah Craig single barrel store pick.   It was excellent.

Now I'm on to a SAOS 10 year single barrel.

• I like it 5

It's Weller Special Reserve tonight.  This is a new experience for me. I know the wheated bourbons are supposed to be softer on the palate, but this, to me, has a prominent peppery kick to the finish. Maybe just a touch of orange, or the bitter of orange peel here, too. Interesting. 

• I like it 7

39 minutes ago, Thomm said:

It's Weller Special Reserve tonight.  This is a new experience for me. I know the wheated bourbons are supposed to be softer on the palate, but this, to me, has a prominent peppery kick to the finish. Maybe just a touch of orange, or the bitter of orange peel here, too. Interesting. 

All palates are different, but if I had tasting notes like that with WSR, I'd write it off to my palate being off that day.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Youngest Daughter, former holder of the coveted Worst Child Status, is visiting PR.  Headed for a very nice dinner at 5 pm.  Pre-gaming with ECBP B522.  This is getting hard.  I know what I have at home is better and cheaper.  And so I feel the need to pregame.  

Normal.

I take a glass flask to restaurants, concerts, etc.

I know, and have invested, too much to pay high prices for pours of mid-grade bourbon when out.

I really hope this doesn't make me an asshole-  I do make it a point to tip well on the rest of the tab and the free glass/cup of ice....

• I like it 2

11 minutes ago, Kepler said:

All palates are different, but if I had tasting notes like that with WSR, I'd write it off to my palate being off that day.

Yeah, I think you may have something there.  Tongue still feels a little sensitive a good 30 minutes after the bourbon. That would explain a peppery presence. I shall try again another night. 

• I like it 2

Had to drown out my sorrows for another dismal Dodger postseason offensive showing.

Went with fresh bottle pour of Russell Reserve store pick which was great. Loads of vanilla and baking spices. 

Followed this up with another fresh bottle proof of ECBP B522 which was a nice follow up.  

CF921188-6474-4F08-8FFF-34943ABFF2DD.jpeg

35B0671C-CA87-4B20-BC9F-1D9A644F4933.jpeg

• I like it 7

7 hours ago, Thomm said:

I find that many of the wheated bourbons start sweet and finish astringent, WSR included.  I do not feel that with A107 which probably explains its popularity.  Still need to experiment with the Larceny BP's, I did not like their regular bottle; the recent C922 release is supposed to be very good and not have that harsh finish.  

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, apt43bear said:

Went with fresh bottle pour of Russell Reserve store pick which was great. Loads of vanilla and baking spices. 

Followed this up with another fresh bottle proof of ECBP B522 which was a nice follow up.  

I'm fairly new to this.  But you just nailed two of my consistent favorites; I learned about them here, really.  Those are so good and yet not insanely priced.  Salud!

Edited by Anwalt

6 hours ago, steven s said:

know, and have invested, too much to pay high prices for pours of mid-grade bourbon when out.

I really hope this doesn't make me an asshole-  I do make it a point to tip well on the rest of the tab and the free glass/cup of ice....

We bought lots and tipped very well.  Including high-priced mixed girlie drinks for the child (who is working hard to regain Worst Child Status) and her friend.  Plus two bottles of Red Schooner Voyage #10 Malbec - which is very good.  The story behind it is pretty neat.  They are now doing something similar from Australia, I think it was "Journey #1" or some such.  I'm well enough known & liked at this restaurant that I could have openly BYOB, it hadn't occurred to me.  I've actually brought them bourbon to try and always share a bit of wine from each bottle with the waiters.  The restaurant priced the wine oddly well.  It's about $50 in stores and only $57 in the restaurant; I was surprised.

Personally, I like the flask idea as long as buying & tipping are in line, like you said.  I'm gonna try it.  Betcha if I'm discreet, buy, tip, and wink, nothing bad happens.  Indeed, I'll bet if I share a good pour with the bartender, he shares something right back.

EW Bib with a large cube. I like this stuff. Its got a lot of wood and earth, but almost no heat, that is for me. Really good, especially for the price. Btw, fishnbowljoe recommend me this expression. 

• I like it 7

Well, watching the CA guys enjoy their KL picks made me go back to a Dickel 15y I bought from that store.  $50 for a 15y is pretty darned hard to beat.  Starting to get what is meant by "that Dickel flavor".  I do not dislike it, just trying to figure out how I like it compared to other options.  Probably one of those "when I'm in the mood" things.  Definitely a distinct flavor for which I presently lack original adjectives.  Because I think "mineral" is taken.

Dickel.jpg

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 4

23 hours ago, Anwalt said:

Oh yes. We all have better at home and don't want to pay inflated restaurant prices. I will always pre-game and generally stick to a cocktail and wine at dinner. There's a BBQ place that has GTS and WLW for $25 a pour so I'll get that when there. If I do ever get a pour at a bar it's usually WT101 because it's cheap and I know it will deliver. 

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.