What Bourbon did you Purchase (Fall 2022)

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, JakeySnakes said:

A couple store picks.

IMG_4080.jpg

Are you ok with the snow storm in Northern NY?

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I like Maker's 46.  A lot.  But, I hate the new dressing.  So, when I saw the old dressing this week, I quickly grabbed it.  All future MM46 purchases will be dumped into this bottle.  

42EBEEE2-9576-4CE7-9A59-E439EBF31314.jpeg

The new dressing is crap. 

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Are you ok with the snow storm in Northern NY?

Thanks for asking. Although I used to live in Buffalo, I'm currently in the Hudson River Valley, about midway between NYC and Albany, so thankfully avoiding this dumping. I still have many friends in western NY, and they're hanging in there.

• I like it 1

My email is working again so I thought I would post the picture from yesterdays score.  Not much else to do, couple inches of snow on the ground over night.

I picked up two different proofs of VOB .  I have little if any knowledge of the VOB other than reading on this site, but I do like the price... One is an 86 proof and the other is a 90 proofer.  

thumbnail (13).jpeg

• I like it 6

On 11/18/2022 at 9:09 AM, Grady330 said:

Will review Saturday and chime in. Thx...

Saturday came. I think the ECBP C 922 is the best for 2022. I called my LS and had them put another aside. They got 5. Will nurse them through the holidays!!

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, CaptTim said:

I picked up two different proofs of VOB .  I have little if any knowledge of the VOB other than reading on this site, but I do like the price... One is an 86 proof and the other is a 90 proofer.

VOB availability here in CA as well but I've managed to try the 86, 90 and 100 proof versions.  The 90 is my favorite.  The 86 is a little bland and the 100 a bit hot to my palate. 

• I like it 5

Some really great scores. Thinking the next 30 days this thread will light up better than the Christmas lights on main street! Oh yeah, thanks for letting us know heaven is real horses. :) 

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Some really great scores. Thinking the next 30 days this thread will light up better than the Christmas lights on main street! Oh yeah, thanks for letting us know heaven is real horses. :) 

You know it.  Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, pre-holiday sales...liquor will be leaving stores in boxes.  

Grabs in the past week... (missing from the pic - a 4R SS SiB & an OF 375 gift pack)

Nothing spectacular, but solid just the same...

jpur.thumb.jpg.271c81280a3862b2853b352c0a73e6c8.jpg

• I like it 8

Just one tonight. That bottle on the right was making me nervous.  Tomorrow I may do some more shopping. 

Which brings me to a question: Today was my first time seeing WTRB Rye. Who among us has enjoyed this product?  Is this something for my hit list, or does it fall solidly into the No Big Deal category?  I welcome your input. 

IMG_20221125_202931.jpg

• I like it 3

15 hours ago, Thomm said:

Just one tonight. That bottle on the right was making me nervous.  Tomorrow I may do some more shopping. 

Which brings me to a question: Today was my first time seeing WTRB Rye. Who among us has enjoyed this product?  Is this something for my hit list, or does it fall solidly into the No Big Deal category?  I welcome your input. 

IMG_20221125_202931.jpg

You should definitely open the new one before the old one is gone to try them sbs.  It's always fun to me to see how different the single barrels are.

As for your question on the RB rye,  I personally recommend the 101 rye instead.

• I like it 2

52 minutes ago, 0895 said:

You should definitely open the new one before the old one is gone to try them sbs.  It's always fun to me to see how different the single barrels are.

As for your question on the RB rye,  I personally recommend the 101 rye instead.

That makes sense. I had a little last night, but still left a decent sample size for a SBS

I guess as far as the RB Rye is concerned, I do have a bottle of the 101 rye. If the Rare Breed is basically the same thing but higher proof, then it's not something I need to have. 

1 hour ago, Thomm said:

That makes sense. I had a little last night, but still left a decent sample size for a SBS

I guess as far as the RB Rye is concerned, I do have a bottle of the 101 rye. If the Rare Breed is basically the same thing but higher proof, then it's not something I need to have. 

Same question on my end, is it the same

just higher proof or do they use older stock?

It is always difficult to know for sure, but I have always assumed Rare Breed Rye has older whiskey in the blend.  It tends to have an oilier mouthfeel and is less rough around the edges.  Of course, it is barrel strength and NCF so that might impact the flavor profile and mouthfeel. 

All things being equal, I prefer WTRB Rye.  But, things aren't equal, as the price is about 3x that of WTR101 in my area.  So, unless I can find WTRB Rye on sale at a significant discount, I am more than happy with WTR101.  

• I like it 1

While I am not generally a fan of finished whiskies, I do enjoy Makers 46 CS and some of the wood finishing series bottles.  I found this gift set on sale for $37.99 at a local retailer not known for the best prices.  As a cheap bastard, I needed to confirm the bargain.  A quick on-line search indicated other large retailers selling a similar set for $59.99.  

Resized_20221126_175653.thumb.jpg.25c14726daf1415796c174b5d6066437.jpg

• I like it 4

24 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

While I am not generally a fan of finished whiskies, I do enjoy Makers 46 CS and some of the wood finishing series bottles.  I found this gift set on sale for $37.99 at a local retailer not known for the best prices.  As a cheap bastard, I needed to confirm the bargain.  A quick on-line search indicated other large retailers selling a similar set for $59.99.  

It will taste better.  Science.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Anwalt said:

It will taste better.  Science.

Poured a sufficiently contemplative pour of the Maker's 46 Private Selection.  Based on the stave mix, it should deliver notes of light sweet honey, vanilla, dark fruit, crispy sweets of ripe fruits, zesty baking spices with a soft, yet long baking spice oak finish.  

I get the dark fruit with slight vanilla on the palate with a very long strong slap in your face spice oak finish.  Not spectacular but worth the price of entry to play the game.  I sometimes find the second visit with a whiskey like this helps me better understand it.  It does have some complexity and I am a simple man.  I am 2 minutes into typing this post and the finish is still tingling my gum and teeth.  

This sample was all in the interest of science.

• I like it 2

Did any of our Kentucky friends win any Pappy bottles in the Kroger lottery?  The drawing was November 25, right?  

I wish the Indiana stores would do this but my guess is they don't get anywhere near the allotment the Kentucky stores do.

Friday was a good day for a drive, wife wanted to go somewhere......  very windy for fishing anyway,  doesn't happen very often with me. 

Just happen to hit a LS in a neighboring state as they were having a Blanton store pick event.  We grabbed 2 of the 375's there, they were in a nice box for gifting.  Then made our way back to Michigan and procured a ER 10 yr and a  750 Blanton.   These will go into the bunker.  I do enjoy the ER and the Blanton is OK too. 

The store owner at the MI store was telling me about Weller 12 yr and just maybe has some coming.  I think he was just talking.  However I would love to get a 12 yr though.

• I like it 3

A nice gift from a happy client arrived in the mail. 

Also:  It's cyber-Monday in PA.  The Green Dot Chateau Leoville Barton Irish Whiskey was $65 a pop.  10% off of that = $59/each.  Per Wine-Searcher, the average price is $111 (probably a little high as tater sites drive up the average, $90 seems more realistic).  There are still a number of those bottles left, I got 2.

The JDSBBP already sold out, but some JDSB still remain, I got one of those for $45.

For those who like the Pikesville Rye, it's at $54.

SH15.jpg

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 4

On 11/7/2022 at 11:08 PM, Davesnothere said:

I'm not certain if I can claim these as my purchases as it was my who wife picked them up this week while she was in Japan, but here are the most recent.

20221106_210539.jpg

A friend who is presently in Japan is willing to get me a bottle of something.  If you don't mind my asking, what were the prices like on the above?  Or are there other things he should be looking for?  He'll be in Osaka.  PM is AOK if you are not looking to share publicly.  Recommendations from others welcome.  I need to tell my buddy what to look for.

I basically need to give him a list of "Get this, in order of priority, and here's the max price".  And yes, I'm searching the archives.

Edited by Anwalt

9 minutes ago, Anwalt said:

A friend who is presently in Japan is willing to get me a bottle of something.  If you don't mind my asking, what were the prices like on the above?  Or are there other things he should be looking for?  He'll be in Osaka.  PM is AOK if you are not looking to share publicly.  Recommendations from others welcome.  I need to tell my buddy what to look for.

I basically need to give him a list of "Get this, in order of priority, and here's the max price".  And yes, I'm searching the archives.

The new Wild Turkey 12/101 is available in Japan and for something like the equivalent of $50, a complete steal.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.