What Bourbon did you Purchase (Fall 2022)

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, MM818 said:

We’ll see about these…

A5C732B4-15B4-4AFC-B61B-D99741B2C001.jpeg

I saw a store pick of Rebel and a store pick of Ezra Distiller's Collection today.  The labels looked almost identical.  Both were 120 proof.  The price was the same.  I know they are Lux Row.  Same whiskey, different label? I had to double take to make sure I wasn't looking at the same thing.

I might ultimately get one but the initial turn off is the label only states the fill date not the bottle date.  Since it is straight bourbon with no age statement, I assume the age is 4 years and a couple of minutes.  

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, Kepler said:

I guess that isn't really a different batch??  Just a different label? 

I'm pretty sure it's both.  Just an oddly very similar proof, but off by 0.05%.  Could be wrong though.

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I saw a store pick of Rebel and a store pick of Ezra Distiller's Collection today.  The labels looked almost identical.  Both were 120 proof.  The price was the same.  I know they are Lux Row.  Same whiskey, different label? I had to double take to make sure I wasn't looking at the same thing.

I might ultimately get one but the initial turn off is the label only states the fill date not the bottle date.  Since it is straight bourbon with no age statement, I assume the age is 4 years and a couple of minutes.  

Lux Row single barrels drink much fuller than their age.  Per my understanding, Rebel Yell is a wheat mash bill whereas Ezra Brooks is more traditional.

• I like it 3

Nice little haul from my cousin consisting of a JD Coy Hill, three ECBP, Makers FAE-02, WT12 101 and a RRSiB.  He took home quite a few bottles as well.  No picture as I quickly stashed them before the wifey could comment.  

• I like it 6

On 10/16/2022 at 1:49 PM, PhantomLamb said:

Lux Row single barrels drink much fuller than their age.  Per my understanding, Rebel Yell is a wheat mash bill whereas Ezra Brooks is more traditional.

Doh, I forgot that Rebel is a wheat mash bill.  Makes more sense now.  

2 handles of ECSB on sale. Can't pass up getting 1.75 for less than they are selling two 750ml. It will go into the decanter life will be great. Also grabbed a bottle of RRSB on sale while I was at the store too. 

Got an email today that more bottles are ready to pickup with the wife's wine order tomorrow as well so stay tuned.

• I like it 3

On 10/18/2022 at 9:46 PM, elmossle said:

2 handles of ECSB on sale. Can't pass up getting 1.75 for less than they are selling two 750ml. It will go into the decanter life will be great. Also grabbed a bottle of RRSB on sale while I was at the store too. 

Got an email today that more bottles are ready to pickup with the wife's wine order tomorrow as well so stay tuned.

Another three bottles today as well. ECBP C922, FRSB, and FR Small Batch Select. Oh and a case of wine for the wife but no one cares about that!

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, elmossle said:

Oh and a case of wine for the wife but no one cares about that!

🤫

• I like it 1

Quick trip to pick up prescriptions.  Also picked up some additional "medicine."  Stuck with a Lawrenceburg theme.20221020_120531.thumb.jpg.c6b5410bba53d326d1e3f2a5691fbc55.jpg

• I like it 10

I had been on an abstain from buying/drink down the bunker plan, for a while.

Then recently noticed WT 101 Rye return to shelves.  I figured get a couple EW 1783 too.  Next I was surprised to see the new JD bonded (700ml bottle) on sale - never tried it before.  I got two of those.  One to open directly.  Another for the collection/bunker - to add to the other bonded stuff.  By the way, the one I opened is a very nice pour indeed.  Even though it's made in TN, I get a lot of the classic B-F house style, like dusty Old Forester. 

• I like it 7

Picked up a few new bottles today. 

I walked into a local store and noticed the liquor department manager and another employee standing next to a cart with several boxes of Four Roses Single Barrel.  As I started looking around, I noticed practically everyone had a bottle.  Me being slowly perceptive walked over to the cart and asked if it was a barrel pick.  I was thinking it was probably the 100 proof version until I asked and was pleasantly surprised to hear it was barrel strength and OESK. 10 years/5 months, 114 proof, $79.99.  A little more than I thought I might pay but it was right there in front of me and OESK is my absolute favorite FR recipe.  Yes, I will take one please.  I have seen several other retailers offering FR BS for $99.99 to $119.99 recently but they were either lottery or first-come, first-serve after a social media blast.  This store has a pretty good track record with barrel picks.

I visited another nearby store to pick up another bottle of Barrel Proof Wheat Whiskey that I absolutely love. It was 20% off and an absolute steal at $39.99.  While at the store, I ended up picking up a KC120 store pick.  It is 10 years/9 months old.   One odd thing that I never noticed before.  The label has the barrel date and selected date.  I assume once selected the barrel was tanked for bottling?  I threw in a WTR101 since it was also 20% off.  

Gentlemen and Ladies, let me tell you how it is done in my world.  Recognizing that my wife noticed the amount of money I spent and remarked that I had a good day, I decided to stop by a local higher end shoe store.  $300 worth of shoes later, the score was more than even.  This friends is how to compensate for impulse whiskey buys.  Make impulse shoe buys for your spouse.  

To further the good will, I am watching (even as I type this post) the first new Christmas movie of the season on Hallmark.  Even the Beagle approves of my strategy.

Resized_20221021_192852.thumb.jpg.7bd6160e402de539b3164164c5b58b91.jpg

Resized_20221020_211944.jpg

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 6

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Picked up a few new bottles today. 

I walked into a local store and noticed the liquor department manager and another employee standing next to a cart with several boxes of Four Roses Single Barrel.  As I started looking around, I noticed practically everyone had a bottle.  Me being slowly perceptive walked over to the cart and asked if it was a barrel pick.  I was thinking it was probably the 100 proof version until I asked and was pleasantly surprised to hear it was barrel strength and OESK. 10 years/5 months, 114 proof, $79.99.  A little more than I thought I might pay but it was right there in front of me and OESK is my absolute favorite FR recipe.  Yes, I will take one please.  I have seen several other retailers offering FR BS for $99.99 to $119.99 recently but they were either lottery or first-come, first-serve after a social media blast.  This store has a pretty good track record with barrel picks.

I visited another nearby store to pick up another bottle of Barrel Proof Wheat Whiskey that I absolutely love. It was 20% off and an absolute steal at $39.99.  While at the store, I ended up picking up a KC120 store pick.  It is 10 years/9 months old.   One odd thing that I never noticed before.  The label has the barrel date and selected date.  I assume once selected the barrel was tanked for bottling?  I threw in a WTR101 since it was also 20% off.  

Gentlemen and Ladies, let me tell you how it is done in my world.  Recognizing that my wife noticed the amount of money I spent and remarked that I had a good day, I decided to stop by a local higher end shoe store.  $300 worth of shoes later, the score was more than even.  This friends is how to compensate for impulse whiskey buys.  Make impulse shoe buys for your spouse.  

To further the good will, I am watching (even as I type this post) the first new Christmas movie of the season on Hallmark.  Even the Beagle approves of my strategy.

Nice @mbroo5880i. We’re dog sitting, and  Harper agrees with your beagle. My wife however, wants to know where the hell the shoes are!  😬

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.0da9537c6cadca197751337049a90a63.jpeg

• I like it 6

😀

44 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Nice @mbroo5880i. We’re dog sitting, and  Harper agrees with your beagle. My wife however, wants to know where the hell the shoes are!  😬

Biba! Joe

image.thumb.jpeg.0da9537c6cadca197751337049a90a63.jpeg

They are on your feet! 😀

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

😀

They are on your feet! 😀

Ooops. Had to edit and put in the correct name. I ain’t even drinking. Yet. 😏

Biba! Joe

10 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ooops. Had to edit and put in the correct name. I ain’t even drinking. Yet. 😏

Biba! Joe

I knew what you meant.  😀

You better start drinking to clear your mind.  😀

• I like it 3

44 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I knew what you meant.  😀

You better start drinking to clear your mind.  😀

Warning: Thread Drift!

Yeah, I mixed you and @PaulO up. It’s happened before. Just ask @Clueby and @0895. This all may have started around 20 years ago. I coached high school bowling, and had two brothers on my team, Mike and Nick. Mike was a year older and they came to the team when Mike was a sophomore and Nick was a freshman. In their third year with me, I noticed someone was dropping their shoulder. I called out “Mike.” He grabbed his ball and started another frame. After he rolled his ball, I said a little louder, “Hey Mike!.” Nothing. His ball came back and he grabbed it and this time I loudly yelled “MIKE!!” I got “the wtf look”, and then felt someone tap me on my shoulder.  I looked at who was tapping me on the shoulder, and was told quite matter of factly, “Coach, I’m Mike.” :wacko: We all had a good laugh. And believe you me they never let me forget it. I was reminded several times the rest of the year. It was also brought up at the school awards banquet, AND at our conference bowling banquet. They were both good kids, and I cared for them deeply. 😌

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

My favorite local beverage center took a trip and made a pick.  $49.99 didn't sound too shabby to me.  My reward for another 55 hour work week. 

IMG_20221021_214337.jpg

• I like it 5

23 minutes ago, Thomm said:

My favorite local beverage center took a trip and made a pick.  $49.99 didn't sound too shabby to me.  My reward for another 55 hour work week. 

Great buy. 👍 I’ve been to that store a few times over the years. It’s nice to see they’re still doing good picks. 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Warning: Thread Drift!

Yeah, I mixed you and @PaulO up. It’s happened before. Just ask @Clueby and @0895. This all may have started around 20 years ago. I coached high school bowling, and had two brothers on my team, Mike and Nick.

My brother's name is Scott. There are 9 years between us but my dad somehow managed to call me Sctim and my  brother Tscott most of the time.

Back on topic, here are my pickups for the week. It should be for the "weak" since I caved on the MWND.

20221021_182953.jpg

• I like it 4

On 10/15/2022 at 12:47 PM, MM818 said:

MGP. I’ve also enjoyed a pick from an excellent store in Pasadena. I think I’ve also seen Tennessee distillate. 

BD168FA8-87D2-49ED-B202-7DB23CF91908.jpeg

Pasadena MD?? 

Earlier in the day today i gifted a bottle of Eagle Rare to someone that works for me.  Less than an hour later I walk into Sam’s Club and find this.  I have never had it and despite casual looking for quite some time have never seen one sitting on a shelf before.  $49.92 later we leave together.  

Bourbon karma I do believe.

9AEC50EA-6474-44F3-9429-6E45DEE6A299.jpeg

• I like it 8

On 10/15/2022 at 11:50 AM, MM818 said:

We’ll see about these…

A5C732B4-15B4-4AFC-B61B-D99741B2C001.jpeg

I snagged a bottle of the 1792 FP a while back. I like cask strength whiskey, but this stuff drinks hotter than its proof and begs for a splash, or a large cube.  Once it opens up, the bourbon is great. 

I have a couple store picks of the Rebel and  EB Distillers Collection, which also have "barrel filled" dates on the labels. Mine were filled in 2016. The Rebel is 113 proof,  and the EB is 107. 

These were selected by my favorite LS, who have a couple "whiskey" people on their staff whose palates seem to align closely with mine and the bourbon is is excellent.  I killed one if the EB bottles last week, and have one left.  I should've bought a case😶, but I'm trying to thin the herd.  

I've never had any Rebel,  or EB, to compare them to but, if the quality of the whiskey in your bottle is anywhere near as good, you won't be disappointed.  Please post your thoughts after you've had a pour, or two.

• I like it 3

I probably overpaid,  ($36.00), but had to have it.  That 700ml  bottle though 🤬

So much for thinning the herd😅

20221022_111135.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.