What Bourbon did you Purchase (Fall 2022)

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, MissMohawk said:

Got myself a JD Single Barrel Select 

IMG_20221111_192016.jpg

It's hard to believe it comes from the same source as regular JD.  I call it dessert Bourbon.  I don't know if you have pecan pie in Ireland. 😊

• I like it 3

On 11/7/2022 at 9:08 PM, Davesnothere said:

I'm not certain if I can claim these as my purchases as it was my who wife picked them up this week while she was in Japan, but here are the most recent.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:32 PM, elmossle said:

Looks like the wife gets something extra under the tree this holiday season!! Great scores and you will LOVE the FR Platinum. I have had a few bottle over the years and thought they were all excellent. Cheers and enjoy!

On 11/8/2022 at 7:44 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Do you know how many of us wish we could send our wife on a bourbon run to Japan?  Me, neither.  But, I bet it is a lot.  

Nice scores!

Never underestimate the value of a loving wife who cares about your interests.  My wife once brought me back a blue label Wild Turkey 12/101 from over there many years ago.  😍

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 5

15 hours ago, Thomm said:

I got a 94. Now I'm confused 🤔. All kidding aside, you are correct. Sometimes, though the flavor of the day in bourbon keeps trending toward hazmat, these sippers that fall between 90 and 100 proof are much more approachable and enjoyable. 

IMG_20221111_220702.jpg

You need to try the JD Bottle in Bond.  Found one a couple months ago on a trip and the JD taste profile in 100 proof is mighty tasty.  It was about $35 at the store.  Not bad for a 100 proof whiskey.  Dean

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, Dean E said:

You need to try the JD Bottle in Bond.  Found one a couple months ago on a trip and the JD taste profile in 100 proof is mighty tasty.  It was about $35 at the store.  Not bad for a 100 proof whiskey.  Dean

I will put it on the list. The list gets longer every week. I now walk into the liquor store and the untasted bottles call to me. "Pick me!  Pick me, they say." And the bottles I have tried and very much enjoy compete with them. "You're gonna need a backup, brother!  What if there's a glass shortage/Brown Foreman Turn Back the Clock Retro-weekend Strike/Fred Minnick-caused Tater Coronation?"   

Damn talking bottles. They get ya every time. 

• I like it 2

Yesterday my wife and I both had the day off. It was kind of cool and rainy and we had nothing in particular planned.

I read that Jack Daniels was releasing a single malt any day now, so we took a drive up to Lynchburg. We live about an hour south and I thought we could kill the afternoon and see what was on the shelf at the visitor center. Well there was no single malt, but we did score this at $137. This is the first time in about two years they've had it when I've been there, and they had an entire pallet. 

20221111_193257.jpg

I'm not a fan of the regular JD releases, but I really like the Sinatra select., as do several of my friends.

So, we, went back today and got a few more for Christmas presents.

20221112_134913.jpg

Edited by Davesnothere
  • I like it 5

On 11/11/2022 at 11:35 PM, Kepler said:

Never underestimate the value of a loving wife who cares about your interests.  My wife once brought me back a blue label Wild Turkey 12/101 from over there many years ago.  😍

You are a very blessed &  lucky man, my friend. Remember to return the favor, when you can. 😏

Cheers

• I like it 2

I haven't bought any new bottles recently,  but sprung for a couple this weekend:    The first is Remus Repeal Batch VI, which I've already uncorked and can say  is the best of this series I've tried.   It's not as sweet as Smokewagon,  because it leans heavily on the MGP 21% rye mashbill,  but as an exercise in blending for balance, complexity and sessionability,  it's quite special.   

The other bottle was an impulse buy -  something called Frank August small batch that just looked interesting to me.    Total crapshoot,  in a fantastic bottle perfect for future solera use.    

• I like it 4

Given that almost all of my bottles come from outside of Puerto Rico, I load up when I can.  I had been planning to get a bunch in Vegas, and did.  31 to be exact.  30 went with me (5 per each of 6 suitcases, Wifey was not entirely amused at the use of her baggage) and one muled by a friend.

K&L Purchases (I like their prices and their store picks.  A friend lets me stockpile orders in LA and drove them to the event we both attended in Vegas)

1) Barrel #32

2) Bookers 2022-2

3) Alberta Premium Rye CS

4) Heaven's Door Store Pick

5) Green Spot Irish

6) 2 x Rare Perfection 14 Year Canadian (50% off right now, FYI)

7) Yellow Spot Irish

8 WB Saffel

9) Dry Fly 9-Year Hibernian (I really liked their 9y wheat whiskey, we'll see how this one goes)

Purchased for me by a friend (Another friend who lives in the area and was attending the same event muled these four to Vegas for me)

1) ECBP Private Barrel

2) ECBP B522

3) OF SiB Store Pick

4) Old Kirk SiB

Bought at Liquor Lineup (They will hold for when you visit.  They charged $7 to deliver all 12 bottles to the hotel, plus tip to driver.  They get some good things.  Worth following if you will end up in Vegas)

1) 4 ECBP C922

2) 2 ECBP B522

3) 2 ECBP A122

4) 4 Larceny BP C922

ECBP fix satisfied.  Growing Larceny BP fix fed.  What are the HH fans called?

Surprise Gift.  Some friends who were at the same event had won some in a lottery from the Kentucky Colonels. Anyone who knows anything about Hotel Tango bottles (Hoosiers?), please chime in.  Most of them seem young, albeit SiB.  Curious.

1) ECBP Private Barrel

2) 6y SiB Select Hotel Tango

3) 3x SiB 2y bottles, different barrels

I did have one bottle from the KL Wine order "go missing". Given how the people at the distribution center behaved (my friend in LA went to pick up the box once the distribution center did not deliver and started acting quite oddly), I strongly suspect "stolen".  It was thankfully the cheapest of the lot, about $30.

KL Wine.jpg

SBer.jpg

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 12

4 of the 5 gift bottles from Vegas, any info on Hotel Tangos would be appreciated.  

PS:  You know it's young & hot when the label says "drink in a cocktail"!  The 6y did not have that warning.

Gift Bottles.jpg

Gift2.jpg

Gift3.jpg

Edited by Anwalt
  • I like it 3

4 hours ago, Anwalt said:

4 of the 5 gift bottles from Vegas, any info on Hotel Tangos would be appreciated.  

PS:  You know it's young & hot when the label says "drink in a cocktail"!  The 6y did not have that warning.

Gift Bottles.jpg

Gift2.jpg

Gift3.jpg

I've had the Hotel Tango 6 year,  and if I recall correctly  it is wheated bourbon from a craft distillery that is no longer in business.   I think I wrote about it here some months ago.   It was good tasting bourbon.

Edit:   check out the thread "What craft bourbon are you drinking today?"   It's in the craft bourbon section of General Bourbon Discussion.

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 1

224237EA-4324-4ADF-AE58-6672A2593F49.thumb.jpeg.993c74cb6cd1acc6c0410071ab60ef47.jpeg

Good to have GTS back this year. This is my first cypb to own. Have tried it a couple times and have been impressed. Good opening day.

• I like it 14

8 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I've had the Hotel Tango 6 year,  and if I recall correctly  it is wheated bourbon from a craft distillery that is no longer in business.   I think I wrote about it here some months ago.   It was good tasting bourbon.

Edit:   check out the thread "What craft bourbon are you drinking today?"   It's in the craft bourbon section of General Bourbon Discussion.

Actually, they are still in business.  They have three tasting rooms in Indy.  I am not exactly sure what they distill in-house.  I believe all of their whiskeys are contracted out.  MGP, Middle West, Wyoming, etc.  That was a few years back.  I see their stuff everywhere but have yet to be enticed to pay $30 for a two-year old 90 proof whiskey. However, those in the photograph appear to be single barrels and higher proof so there may be something there.  I know a lot of people who have been to their tasting rooms and rave about their cocktails.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Actually, they are still in business.  They have three tasting rooms in Indy.  I am not exactly sure what they distill in-house.  I believe all of their whiskeys are contracted out.  MGP, Middle West, Wyoming, etc.  That was a few years back.  I see their stuff everywhere but have yet to be enticed to pay $30 for a two-year old 90 proof whiskey. However, those in the photograph appear to be single barrels and higher proof so there may be something there.  I know a lot of people who have been to their tasting rooms and rave about their cocktails.

Hotel Tango in indeed still in business.   However,  their 6-year wheated "Reserve" bourbon was sourced from a craft distiller that appears to be defunct.  As I noted on the other thread,  the "Reserve" is pretty good and worth picking up.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

224237EA-4324-4ADF-AE58-6672A2593F49.thumb.jpeg.993c74cb6cd1acc6c0410071ab60ef47.jpeg

Good to have GTS back this year. This is my first cypb to own. Have tried it a couple times and have been impressed. Good opening day.

Very nice score.  Can't imagine that I will ever get anything like that where I shop...  congrats and enjoy Sir

36 minutes ago, CaptTim said:

Very nice score.  Can't imagine that I will ever get anything like that where I shop...  congrats and enjoy Sir

Thank ya. You will when you least expect it. 

• I like it 2

Picked up a ECBP C922, 1843, WT101, Col EHT Small Batch. Heard the C922 is good. All the rest is a known entity!!  It was a good day!!!!🥃

• I like it 5

On 11/15/2022 at 8:14 AM, Anwalt said:

... What are the HH fans called?

the Heaven Hill Climbers?

Heaven's Angels?

Unless there is already an accepted name, we are taking auditions...

• I like it 1

On 11/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, Dean E said:

I guess I need to break down and pick up a liter of JD BiB eventually.  I actually don't really see the need for it in the lineup, because the 94 proof single barrel is so great, and plus we have the BP at 130 proof for the fully undiluted version.  But since the 100 to 107 proof range is normally in my favorite wheelhouse, I suppose I should at least try the JD BiB.  And I'm not philosophically opposed to the 1.0 Liter bottling size which is readily available in my location (unlike the 700 mL "shrinkflation" domestic bottling size which I hate ... domestic bottles should never be 700 mL in my opinion...).

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 5

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

I guess I need to break down and pick up a liter of JD BiB eventually.  I actually don't really see the need for it in the lineup, because the 94 proof single barrel is so great, and plus we have the BP at 130 proof for the fully undiluted version.  But since the 100 to 107 proof range is normally in my favorite wheelhouse, I suppose I should at least try the JD BiB.  And I'm not philosophically opposed to the 1.0 Liter bottling size which is readily available in my location (unlike the 700 mL "shrinkflation" domestic bottling size which I hate ... domestic bottles should never be 700 mL in my opinion...).

I kinda thought the same thing, until I tried it.

I really, really like it and will replenish it when it's gone. 

We have the same wheelhouse and it hits the mark, every time. The Triple Mash is good too.

• I like it 1

Cold, as in below freezing and windy today.  Back to the neighboring state for some shopping.  I am having a problem with my email so no pictures.  

But I did find some interesting bottles.

EC BP c922  looking forward to this one as it has many good reviews on SB

KC single barrel Rye,    I like KC and their single barrels so the Rye sb was worth of a buy, price was right too.

WR DO for $10 less than I pay in Ohio.. Killing a store pick of WR DO tonight to make room for the new bottle....lol

• I like it 5

I like Maker's 46.  A lot.  But, I hate the new dressing.  So, when I saw the old dressing this week, I quickly grabbed it.  All future MM46 purchases will be dumped into this bottle.  

42EBEEE2-9576-4CE7-9A59-E439EBF31314.jpeg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.