What rye are you drinking/ purchased 2023

Mattk

Kinda crazy about the  Fleischmann’s Rye. Nothing heard for ages, now a few posts about it in a couple of weeks or so. I brought some to our bourbon & cigar groups Wednesday night get together two and three weeks ago. It is the Rye Mash. Everyone loved it, so I tried to see if I could track some down. Not much luck. I even emailed Mark Brown to see if it was still being made. He assured me it was. I told him me and the boys might have to run up to Wisconsin and try and find some. He wished us happy hunting. 😎 

IMG_2201.thumb.jpeg.8bf8692df4ed8da5e3a244a53727747d.jpeg

• I like it 1

Fleischmann's rye...hmmm...

Dad used to get Fleischmann's Gin for those not-so-special martinis (Beefeater for the swankier occasions).  I recall an island camping trip on the Willow Flowage that featured four 20-something idiots drinking from a plastic handle of Fleischmann's blended whiskey.  Fleischmann's vodka is a big seller for the budget conscious as a party mixer here in the Dairy State.  Never heard of Fleischmann's rye until this conversation, but I am in Southeastern Wisconsin.  It appears this is a pretty concentrated (Northeastern) regional phenomenon.  

Quick internet search finds availability at one Pick-n-Save grocery store near the lake. Now I just gotta do it.  But I promise not to drink it straight from the bottle this time. 

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Thomm said:

Fleischmann's rye...hmmm.... Now I just gotta do it.  But I promise not to drink it straight from the bottle this time. 

I’ve never, ever taken a slug straight from a bottle. 😳⚡🤯

• I like it 1

Never had it.  Maybe it would be a good choice for an SB.com barrel pick? 😀

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Never had it.  Maybe it would be a good choice for an SB.com barrel pick? 😀

This...

WTr CS rye that I brought on a work trip this week. I figured the pickings would be slim, overpriced or both in tourist central so packed one from home for the week. It was a good strategy as it turned out.

• I like it 1

Lots of Fleischmann’s commentary here recently. I’m not in Wisconsin but I’m next door in Minnesota. We can see multiple Fleischmann’s products on a shelf, including the gin, vodka, and blended whiskey. Haven’t seen either version of the rye in recent memory, and I don’t think I’ve ever tried the blended whiskey….. 

Decided to kick-off the night with some  OFSBBS from warehouse H.  

• I like it 1

This bottle was my father's day gift last year. It lasted one year to the holiday again.

20230618_165852.jpg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Mattk said:

This bottle was my father's day gift last year. It lasted one year to the holiday again.

20230618_165852.jpg

They're doing great things at New Riff. I like their rye and love their bourbon.

• I like it 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:06 PM, JCwhammie said:

Peerless does a wonderful job with rye. 

IMG_3977.jpeg

I have passed on this.  Just because I have more rye bottles lined up to open that I haven't even gotten around to yet. 

I do like the Peerless DO bourbon.  Is the DO rye worth that high asking price?

• I like it 1

I'm tidying up the cabinet by finishing some low fill bottles.  First up, Rittenhouse.

• I like it 1

The bardstown origin rye finally made it to town. I was skeptical, so I tried it at the store with the owner. Its not the best ive ever had, but I did buy 2 of them fwiw.

20230623_152052.jpg

• I like it 1

Have a bottle of Frey Ranch and a bottle of Nulu finished in an apple brandy barrel that need to get cracked this weekend.

I've been passing on a lot of rye whiskey bottles lately that a lot of you have been pulling the trigger on.  Peerless Double Oak, OE7 rye, and BBC Origins rye to name a few.  Ultimately the value equation didn't work for me for different reasons.  I did however pick up the Sagamore 8 year rye at $70.  It might have been a weak moment.  But it tastes pretty good.

For rye whiskey anyway (not bourbon so much) I guess I'm knocking on the 'cheap bastard' club door...

• I like it 3

23 hours ago, Kepler said:

I've been passing on a lot of rye whiskey bottles lately that a lot of you have been pulling the trigger on.  Peerless Double Oak, OE7 rye, and BBC Origins rye to name a few.  Ultimately the value equation didn't work for me for different reasons.  I did however pick up the Sagamore 8 year rye at $70.  It might have been a weak moment.  But it tastes pretty good.

For rye whiskey anyway (not bourbon so much) I guess I'm knocking on the 'cheap bastard' club door...

If I could get BBC origins anything here I’d jump. Good on you for self-restraint…to a degree 😂

17 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

If I could get BBC origins anything here I’d jump. Good on you for self-restraint…to a degree 😂

I have more restraint on rye than I do bourbon.  I bought several of the wheated Origins.  I like it quite a bit.  I emptied that bottle quickly.  I think I'll be opening another one as soon as I empty one of my current Maker's PS bottles.

Scored 2 more Booker's this week in an auction. Already got 2 last week, both 2021-01, but this Sunday I got a 2016-01 and a 2017-01. Now the long wait for the box to arrive.....

• I like it 1

I've been looking at Old Potrero recently and as I was readying myself to purchase the standard 6yr, a local got an 8 yr 3mo single barrel at 130p. Everything I found on these SBs was positive and the common thread was "different and weird" yet all framed in a positive vs negative. being 100% malted rye and pot vs column distilled it is somewhat unique and that is what I shop for these days unique but also it got to be GOOD!!. Well this is loaded with flavor and I am glad to have added it to my rye lineup. I concur that it is different, high proof but also mellow, perhaps owing to the malting of the grain which tends to round off some of the characteristic rye notes? I also love those notes but again I'm looking for different these days. The smallest addition of water or an ice chip takes any edge away and there is only deep lasting flavor in the glass with a finish that goes on for minutes. Surprised it took me this long to delve into Old Portrero but glad I finally got here, the only downside is they bottle in 700ml vs 750 bottles but given the enjoyment the contents provide, I'll let it go. Damn, I love me some good rye!!

• I like it 1

I just got the OF barrel proof today. So I figured I'd line up a few bottles of BF ryes for a photo.

20230628_152953.jpg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Mattk said:

I just got the OF barrel proof today. So I figured I'd line up a few bottles of BF ryes for a photo.

20230628_152953.jpg

That is a nice looking lineup.  The bottle of the JDBPR I have open is fantastic, and I hope they stay somewhat available.

On 6/28/2023 at 5:41 PM, Radioyada said:

That is a nice looking lineup.  The bottle of the JDBPR I have open is fantastic, and I hope they stay somewhat available.

I ended up with 2. Same proof, so I assume same barrel. But both were handed to me from behind the counter at 2 different stores. I really like them. The banana note that was so prevalent in the special release I have was substantially less in the new standard issue. But the mouthfeel and overall softness of the little bit of extra age makes the special release marginally better IMO. Overall I am very impressed by the new bottling and hope it becomes easier to find.

• I like it 1

On 6/22/2023 at 9:09 PM, Kepler said:

I have passed on this.  Just because I have more rye bottles lined up to open that I haven't even gotten around to yet. 

I do like the Peerless DO bourbon.  Is the DO rye worth that high asking price?

I think the rye is worth the price, IF you like double oak products.  I won't buy multiples, but we are enjoying the heck out of the one we have open.  I like it a lot more than the double oak bourbon, but I'm not a huge Peerless bourbon fan.