What are you Drinking Fall '08

SBOmarc
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

WTRR 10/101 neat.

I realllllly like this stuff.

Hey, Scott, looks like i'm drinking it with ya !!!:grin:

Bulleit, neat, with a side of H2O.

I know it gets criticized on these boards fairly often, but I love its dry and spicy taste. It goes well with a spicy BBQ, and it is difficult to hide in a mix- it always manages to make itself known!

Debate prep: a final pour of my gold-veined Old Weller Antique 107 from the 80s, then on to a flight of ND Old Taylors -- a 1967 castle decanter and a 375ml flask from mid-80s.

A wee dram of Bruichladdich XVII to watch my Phils seal the deal against LA. Had to do it considering I had the same during the game 4 victory. I may not play ball anymore, but superstitions remain.

Let's see.. started last night off with some Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. Now I uaually age this for at least one year, but I like to try it fresh as well..

This year it tastes almost perfect right now. That being said, IIRC Brooklyn Brewmaster Garrett Oliver stated that they will age this year's longer in house before release.

anyhow - followed that up w/ a nice pour of Weller 107 .. love the stuff but lately it seems that it stands up much better when consumed first.. before anything else. Otherwise it just seems kinda muted.

Cheers - Kevin

A wee dram of Bruichladdich XVII to watch my Phils seal the deal against LA. Had to do it considering I had the same during the game 4 victory. I may not play ball anymore, but superstitions remain.

:bigeyes: Where did you find Bruichladdich XVII in PA?!?

I got my bottle of WT American Spirit today and couldn't wait to break into it. I am having my second pour now and as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on this one. Its good but I'm not sure it is $90 good! I'll let it sit on the shelf for a while and see what happens.

Tonight was a little WT 12 yr old Split Label and Four Roses Single Barrel.

Not a bad evening really!

Tony

A flight of eagles. ER 10/90. ER 10/90 Julio's bottling, ER 101, and ER 17. Welcome back Jason! Joe

I am going to warn you first, this is way off topic.

I started with a Laphroaig 15yo.

Both neat and on the rocks, the quick answer is that I see a little more scotch in my future.

Now I am having a "Rare Old Whisky" by Suntory called "Royal", the label also says it is "Special Reserve".

My father-in-law picked this up in Japan in the mid 1970's and gave it to me a year or so ago, never been opened.

Quick answer, from all the different paths that led you to whisky/whiskey I can see this being someone's favorite.

I am going to warn you first, this is way off topic.

I started with a Laphroaig 15yo.

Both neat and on the rocks, the quick answer is that I see a little more scotch in my future.

Now I am having a "Rare Old Whisky" by Suntory called "Royal", the label also says it is "Special Reserve".

My father-in-law picked this up in Japan in the mid 1970's and gave it to me a year or so ago, never been opened.

Quick answer, from all the different paths that led you to whisky/whiskey I can see this being someone's favorite.

I had the same Suntory. I thought the Suntory was really good. Nice smoke flavor and very very drinkable. I would certainly buy more if I could.

I am not a big scotch drinker...I like Islays and currently have around 5 bottles. Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Bowmore.

An Old Fitz BIB tasting tonight 82, 85, 92, 96

So 'Em, you just happened to have these old Old Fitz's just laying around?

:bigeyes: Where did you find Bruichladdich XVII in PA?!?

I got it about a year ago at the Wine & Spirits in Collegeville. They were on clearance (i.e, PA taking another good bottle off the shelves forever) and there were only a couple bottles left statewide. Fortunately, one was relatively close. The best part was that it was marked down about $15 of regular price; the only good thing about PA clearing out a particular label.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spun_cookie viewpost.gif

An Old Fitz BIB tasting tonight 82, 85, 92, 96

So 'Em, you just happened to have these old Old Fitz's just laying around?

Sort of. I picked up the 82, 92 and 96 Fitz in DC a while ago. The 85 was 50ml from Tony when I was out in Detroit. I still have 1 1/4 oz left of that one in the bottle he gave me...

I wanted to do a rack and stack (See "a Spun View of Old Fitz").

I got it about a year ago at the Wine & Spirits in Collegeville. They were on clearance (i.e, PA taking another good bottle off the shelves forever) and there were only a couple bottles left statewide. Fortunately, one was relatively close. The best part was that it was marked down about $15 of regular price; the only good thing about PA clearing out a particular label.

I remember that they were closing out a bunch of single malts for a while. I bought 3 bottles of Highland Park 12 for I think 26$+ tax. I occasionally want to kick myself for not buying Bowmore 12 for around 23$, Bruccladdich 12 for 25$ and a couple of others.

Reading this thread with recent posts that give a man reason to pause before posting.

GTS Fall '06. Over one big cube in a heavy based rocks glass.

A play on numbers in another thread, 19>16, caused me to choose Old Grandad 86 proof for tonight.

Not just any OGD 86 proof. This is some quality ND juice from a bottle with a date stamp on the bottom of 74.

It has a rich full nose. Even as an 86 proofer it easily can compete with todays 100 proof quality pours. I get a strong rich butterscotch nose. No harshness or any off notes just pure pleasure.

While I am not big on describing the indivual flavours this particular bottle is very good. Nothing overpowering, does not taste overly woody but also not real young. Just right.

But here is where it really shines. The finish is excellent and lingers forever. I don't think any of my current pours can even come close to competing with the finish.

So while we are lucky enough to have many fine modern bourbons available to us today. The old ND juice will always hold as truly some good stuff. Is it because it is from an extinct distillery and held in a higher respect than deserved because it is extinct. I don't think so. It is not unobtanium yet as people still find lingering bottles of the old ND juice. So find some or someone else who does and make your own call.

Ken

Yep. Love the Grand Dad.

The 19>16 note led me to dip into another gem of ND, some mid-'70s Taylor Bond (distilled 19, bottled 14) and a mid '80s 86 proofer.

While the older versions are very elegant and dry on the finish, the '80s versions I've had before always had a massive butterscotch note. This '80s bottle that I just opened doesn't really have this tonight, but as I recall the big butterscotch has to develop with a bit of oxygen contact. I'll check back in a week or so.

One thing I've always appreciated about drinking Grand Dad and Taylor is the rye character they each exhibit. I think it's the yeast that does this, but Taylor is the one that I would characterize as having a hard, rye "bite" where the Grand Dad seems to be spicy, but with a softer type of rye note. Of course, we know that it is actually Grand Dad that has the exceptionally high rye content (27-30% is the range I've seen bandied compared to perhaps a number in the high teens for Taylor). In Four Roses terms,it would seem to be a 'fruity' yeast in Grand Dad and a 'spicy' yeast in Taylor - if it's the yeast and not any number of other variables that differed between the two ND sister distilleries.

Roger "14+19 = Bourbonian Bliss" Hodges

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!