What are you drinking Spring 2010?

hectic1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Busted my arse in the yard today, so after a couple of Terrapin Beer Co. "Hopsecutioner" IPA's, I'm now relaxing with a long, neat pour of Baby Saz. Ahhhhhh....

Next up will be a smidge of McScrooge's OWA 7 yr before heading to The Ted to see the Bravos and Rockies. :woohoo: Chop, Chop!!

I did have vintage 21rye after going on a 9 Islay whisky tasting event last night. There were 140 participants and still many had been denied. Not bad for a small city and it say a lot of the enormous interest of single malt in Sweden. The brand were

Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist 1990/2008 46%

Bowmore 25YO 43%

Bruichladdich 15YO Second Edition 46%

Bunnahabhain 1968/34YO 43,5%

Caol Ila 1979/25YO 58,4%

Kilchoman Inaugural Release 3YO 46%

Lagavulin 1985/21YO 56,5%

Laphroaig 30YO Càirdeas 43%

Port Ellen 1978/29YO 8th Annual Release 55,3%

I did like the caol ila slightly before the lagavulin and laphroaig myself, but the mass voted laphroaig as the winner.:

This said I did like the rye better than any of these despite the fact that one of them did cost 7-8 times as much as the rye.

Leif

That sounds like a great event, Leif. Nice selection to sample from, that's for sure. Have you had any Japanese whisky yet? I'm really enjoying Yamazaki 12 these days.

A little Lot B after coming home from the baseball game. Indians swept Chicago this weekend and the Bulls lost to the Cavs.

Cleveland 4 Chicago 0 :-)

A mingle of 5 ND OGs I bought in recent years mostly in New York, at the fringes of the city in small stores. One though was from New Orleans.

There is a characteristic odor, kind of like dates with soft spices, and the taste is similar.

Very fine whiskey and I can't really connect it to OG of today although I like 114 still.

Gary

A mingle of 5 ND OGs I bought in recent years mostly in New York, at the fringes of the city in small stores. One though was from New Orleans.

There is a characteristic odor, kind of like dates with soft spices, and the taste is similar.

Very fine whiskey and I can't really connect it to OG of today although I like 114 still.

Gary

will be drinking a lot of different whiskies this Friday at Chicago WhiskyFest and maybe at some of the associated events during the week.

If you're going, check out the dedicated thread over in the Bourbon Social section of SB.

I've got a couple of seven pound pork shoulders in the smoker, Walk the Line on TV and some '68 Old Crow sitting in a glass next to me.

Re-lax-ation

Makes two of us! I smoked a 10 lb pork shoulder over applewood while enjoying some turkey a couple nights ago. delicious! Other than the obvious the pulled pork makes awesome burritos!

Makes two of us! I smoked a 10 lb pork shoulder over applewood while enjoying some turkey a couple nights ago. delicious! Other than the obvious the pulled pork makes awesome burritos!

Got the day off. Rounding out lunch with a glass of Blanton's neat. May hit the couch for a little afternoon snooze.

I did have FRSB OESO both before and after diner yesterday and finished it of. I think this Binnys bottle are the best FR I have had so far. That said I don’t like it even close to any of the uncut antic.

Leif

That sounds like a great event, Leif. Nice selection to sample from, that's for sure. Have you had any Japanese whisky yet? I'm really enjoying Yamazaki 12 these days.

I only drink American whiskey at home Hank and single malt at tasting evens maybe 7-8 times a year. However I did try the yamazaki 12 on a boat trip recently and I did like it. Japanese whisky started to be very popular here in Sweden just recently.

Leif

I only drink American whiskey at home Hank and single malt at tasting evens maybe 7-8 times a year. However I did try the yamazaki 12 on a boat trip recently and I did like it. Japanese whisky started to be very popular here in Sweden just recently.

Leif

I've been curious about the yamazuki. Is it a scotch whisky?

Tonight is the end of a rough day. The Kickin' Chick'n 103 was just the thang to take the pain away. Fighting Cock's kick to the palate relieves the pain in your butt....

Tonight is the end of a rough day. The Kickin' Chick'n 103 was just the thang to take the pain away. Fighting Cock's kick to the palate relieves the pain in your butt....

Binny's 2010 BT followed by a pour of 1999 OWA...a good night was had by all. :)

That sounds great, Erich. Those pulled pork burritos got me thinking about picking up a shoulder for next weekend. We did a brisket yesterday and put down way too much Old Fitz BIB in the process but all turned out well until the Cardinals beat my hapless Mets.

They were exceptional. The pork was undeniably American-style smoked, but it didn't make any difference, the burritos were darn tasty. I cooked some jasmine rice, and then at the end squeezed 1/4 of a lime into the rice and threw in a handful of minced cilantro and stirred that in. then I threw together some corn salsa with:

1 cup of corn (maybe it was 1 and 1/2 cups actually)

1 serrano, finely chopped

a handful of cilantro leaves, chopped

a handful of chopped red onion

2 cloves garlic, minced

juice of 1/2 lime

mix it all together, add to the burritos with the rice, black beans, pork, a glob of sour cream, some mexican cheese, some salsa verde and some red salsa. Oh right, also some slightly sauteed red onion! delicious!

But anyway, back to the topic at hand... enjoying a pour of WTKS here.

I did have 86 proof Dickel 12 before dinner yesterday and WT 101 1985 after. I must say that the lighter Dickel suited my mind best that particular night.

Leif

While rummaging through the tertiary bunker, I came across a bottle of Benchmark Single Barrel. So, I pulled it out and opened her up. It's been a while since I've had a bottle of this open, but I had remembered it as being pretty good. Tonight, it's better than that. Very, very satisfying.

I was going to make a fairly inappropriate joke, but I decided not to in the interest of decorum.

EGADS JOSH! :eek: I was too tired to realize that post could be interpreted more than one way. Thanx for being nice! Tonight was as rough as the other but tonight I've decided it wouldn't be wise to drink and post. :drinking: well.....maybe just once.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!