Empty Bottle Support Group 2011

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finished a bottle of PVW15. Hate to put that in the recycle bin. The last pour was better than the first. I only have one left in my small bunker. Hurry up PVW allocation.

I understand ER was intended to compete with Wild Turkey, hence the bird, 101 proof and premium price. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but a brand it does not build. We were fortunate the brand lasted as long as it did and the whisky was not allowed to slip into lower status obscurity.

A Weller 12 goes down. The last pour was very comparable to the pour of Lot B I had at the Firefly Grill last week (a neat diner I visited while traveling in Illinois). A great value at $22 out the door which will probably always keep me from buying the Lot B, even if it was readily available.

Having said that, the W12 tasted a bit thin next to the 1970's Old Forester Bonded my wife was drinking. That stuff is brown sugar + a Joe Frazier left hook.

A Binny's Weller 12, WTRR 101, and a 1980's handle of Old Forester BIB are now in the recycle bin. (sigh :frown: ) Joe

Gone but never forgotten is a pint of Beam's Sour Mash Black Label that was 90 proof from 1979. This was exquisite bourbon and will be genuinely missed. Found in my early hunting days where I made the rookie mistake of being far from home and not carrying enough cash to cover the three others at $7.99, in a cash only store.

Buck spent it's last drops. Wasn't bad at all fir a $24 bottle. Enjoyed it more as it went. Probably won't replace it anytime soon but I did enjoy it.

A bottle of Virginia Gentleman 90 proof "the Fox" gave up it's last dram. Damn shame we can't get anymore of this as it's one of my favorites. A few more in the bunker and that all she wrote.

A bottle of Old Charter 10 hit the can last night. Will have to restock.

Early Times 354. This was a decent bottle but I doubt if it will be replaced.

Emptied my first bottle of Pappy15. It was open for several months and the last 25% was amazing!

A Binny's single barrel selection of Buffalo Trace gave up its last pour tonight.

I'm sorry that I didn't grab more of these, this barrel was exceptional.

Early Times 354. This was a decent bottle but I doubt if it will be replaced.

Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 Years Old Lot "B", recent vintage. In personal blind tastings against MM 46, Weller 12 and VSOF, this one stayed best in show for me. I do wonder why this particular Van Winkle is not offered at higher proof? Is there that big a difference in the quality of barrels being picked for the Van Winkle 12 versus Old Rip Van Winkle 10, that means they cannot bottle the 12 at 107?

A Four Roses Yellow will hit the can tonight. Last one I had but have a Single Barrel and a Small Batch opened and more in the bunker.

200ml of Taylor 86 from the 80's.... just not enough whiskey in these little fellas!!!

I said goodbye to a Weller Centennial this afternoon. :cry: Joe

Finished off a bottle of WTKS, 2009 version. Not a great bottle so I vatted the last pour with WT8 export and RR10/90. I have a pewter top in the bunker so I'll stick with that.

Finished off a bottle of WTKS, 2009 version. Not a great bottle so I vatted the last pour with WT8 export and RR10/90...

Was the vatting an improvement on the separates?

With my group, the vatting often is best - especially for single barrels, but I'm not sure what to think of these together.

Roger

Was the vatting an improvement on the separates?

With my group, the vatting often is best - especially for single barrels, but I'm not sure what to think of these together.

Roger

I thought the vatting improved the KS because the 8/101 gave it a toothsome bite and the RR a little roundness. More like a classic Turkey 8/101.

Buffalo Trace went dry this evening. This could easily be an everyday kind of pour. I'll be picking up another next time I hit the store.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.