What Bourbon did you purchase today? / Summer 2015

JGriff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This card-carrying member of the cult picked a 4R small batch over lunch. Hate it when my bottle runs out and I don't have a spare in the house.

True but Rye seems to get some mention in this thread. I'd have bought more Weller but the place in Illinois was out. :skep:

Just some good-natured ribbing... There is the Rye-specific forum, but I consider Rye and Bourbon to be one big happy family, so no worries. I presume you were talking about Baby Saz, which is an excellent value rye in my opinion. Enjoy.

Picked up a Maker's Mark Cask Strength today while passing through MD. I'd passed on this a few times before and figured it was time to pull the trigger.

Bought a Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB, never had this one before. So far, I have liked all the bourbons which get high praises here at SB (EC12, OGD114), so I am hopeful. What are some other suggestions in the $30 range that may get overlooked?

No you did not err IMHO. My GS OESF reminds me every time I have a pour from it that it is one of the best whiskies I have ever had and why I am rationing that bottle to extend the enjoyment as long as possible. I can only hope that future OESFs I pick up will come somewhat close to the masterpiece JR picked for that bottle. Its also why I specifically target OESF and OBSF for future 4RPS purchases.

Over the weekend a friend and I did a blind tasting, and Four Roses finished very well, way better than I expected against some much fancier whiskeys. So, I've decided to start investigating the individual whiskeys that go into it, and today I bought my first bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel, a Binny's-special cask strength OESF. I'll be cracking it open shortly. I am optimistic, but even if I don't like it, there are nine other variants. I picked this one over an OBSQ. Did I err?

Bought a Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB, never had this one before. So far, I have liked all the bourbons which get high praises here at SB (EC12, OGD114), so I am hopeful. What are some other suggestions in the $30 range that may get overlooked?

Larceny if you haven't tried it yet. It is good stuff and doesn't get mentioned much.

Bookers - big man, small batch

4 roses small batch

3 - OWA107

rock hill farms

i left a whole bunch of Elijah Craig 12 with the actual 12 on the label on the shelf. Handles for $42, 5ths for $22.

Hunting for some dusties in Italy. Found two bottles 2005 WT101 Aged 8 Years in the VERY last corner of a store. When asked what would be the price for a bottle the guy said "Deci Euro" - needless to say I bought em...post-12721-14489822676735_thumb.jpg

Larceny if you haven't tried it yet. It is good stuff and doesn't get mentioned much.

I have tried Larceny, a very good wheater especially for the price. My preferences run towards rye forward bourbons.

i left a whole bunch of Elijah Craig 12 with the actual 12 on the label on the shelf. Handles for $42, 5ths for $22.

wow, great prices. What state are you in? Those are $60/$30 here.

wow, great prices. What state are you in? Those are $60/$30 here.

These were in Mississippi. Pretty good hunting over here. No dusties, but between a few shops I was able to add 8 or so to the collection that I couldn't find at home.

Bought a WTRB112 and Campari (not bourbon but part of the same purchase). There was no 108 RB on the shelves and I heard it is good - Has anybody here done a SBS of the two?

Have you tried WTRB yet? I've seen you post about being a fan of other WT products.

Have you tried WTRB yet? I've seen you post about being a fan of other WT products.

I haven't tried any of the higher priced WT offerings. I have been tempted to pick up a WTRB, but, haven't pulled the trigger yet. I will move it up the list of things to try. How would you rank the "current" WT offerings against each other?

Bought a WTRB112 and Campari (not bourbon but part of the same purchase). There was no 108 RB on the shelves and I heard it is good - Has anybody here done a SBS of the two?

I did lately and to my suprise I prefer the new 112.8 Proof. Better, more oily mouthfeel, less oaky bitterness on the finish. More of a toffee caramel throughout. I guess it's a little younger since it feels more vibrant and less settled but overall I really prefered it. But I am a big fan of both as well as 101 old and new (no age statement).

Added another EC12 and an OGD114. The EC was one of the "older" bottles with the 12 years still on the front. I had not seen those around here in a while. It was a whopping $2 off on sale thanks to our benevolent liquor overlords in Virginia.

Both good pours to add to the stash.

I haven't tried any of the higher priced WT offerings. I have been tempted to pick up a WTRB, but, haven't pulled the trigger yet. I will move it up the list of things to try. How would you rank the "current" WT offerings against each other?

To me Rare Breed is the best of the bunch, though I've had some Russell's Reserve Single Barrels that were as good or better. I liked the previous version of Rare Breed better than the new stuff, but they're both good. Kentucky Spirit isn't much different from the standard 101. When you take price into consideration WTRB wins hands down.

I did a SBS a while back. Maybe I got a bad bottle but man...did not care for the 112 at all

While in Texas for work - picked up a 1792 Sweet Wheat ($30) and IW Harper 15 Year ($65). Man - Texas has some good prices...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!