What Bourbon did you purchase today? / Fall 2015

JGriff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The 108 proof rare breed is definitely better but not for $50 IMO.

In fact, the Class Six still has a ton of 108 proof 50 ml bottles at $2.25 (no tax on base) and at that rate, I can get 750 ml worth for $33.75.

Mrs. dcbt was in Seattle for bidness this week, so I told her that apparently ECBP grows on trees up there, hint hint nudge nudge, if she ever got the chance to check out a liquor store. She came back with a bottle, but when I pulled it out of her suitcase I figured there was a 99% chance she got regular EC instead (a bourbon fan she is not!), but alas, she came through with Batch 8. Nice work, wifeypants.

It does grow on trees around here. I see it every time I'm at the store.

picked up some OWA and some OGD114. Should have gotten some W12 while I was there...

Envy is rampant here. I can get OGD 114 regularly, OWA a couple of times a year (and I can't blink or I miss it), and never a Weller 12 (except for a "special" for only $200). So, I had to settle for a Booker's Maw Maw.

Not bad considering my wife sent me to the store to buy a good apple brandy/Calvados.

Envy is rampant here.

Don't be too envious, W12 isn't worth it. Especially bottles that have come out in the last ~year, they're heavy on astringency and variability. It's great for a sub $30 bottle, but beyond that it's just pappy hype.

Don't be too envious, W12 isn't worth it. Especially bottles that have come out in the last ~year, they're heavy on astringency and variability. It's great for a sub $30 bottle, but beyond that it's just pappy hype.

Goes back more than just last year on W 12, Chris, as some of us were noting deficiencies and variability when it was at $20-$25 and 2009. You nail it with astringency and I'll add soot and thinness. Love me many bourbons distilled by BT-Saz (and the other majors) but the hype over W 12 and ETL, that has developed in the last two years, is not backed up by what they deliver and as you say, any price over $30.

Just got the four Malts of Scotland bourbons:

"Images of Bartstown" 53.2%

Heaven Hill - Sherry Hogshead 2001-2015 46.8%

Heaven Hill - Bourbon Barrel 2005-2015 52.1%

Heaven Hill - Port Cask finsih 2001-2015 52.8% (Just a sample, never been a fan of port casks)

Steffen

Picked up a EWSB2005 ($25) at Costco before they all disappear. Already seeing the 2006 taking it's place. Also, picked up a handle of GD#8 ($10) - couldn't resist the price.

Edited by MauiSon

Goes back more than just last year on W 12, Chris, as some of us were noting deficiencies and variability when it was at $20-$25 and 2009. You nail it with astringency and I'll add soot and thinness. Love me many bourbons distilled by BT-Saz (and the other majors) but the hype over W 12 and ETL, that has developed in the last two years, is not backed up by what they deliver and as you say, any price over $30.

The W12 bottles I picked up around this time last year, turned out to be exceptional FOR A $20 BOTTLE. The ones I had prior to that, I'd agree with the astringency comment.

Still a good pour for the price, but not worth hunting for and paying the ridiculous prices I've seen it marked up to online.

ETL is an excellent pour (to my palate), up to a $35.00 price tag. Much beyond that, it's not worth it.

Agree that Larceny, which is easy to find, and at a great price point, is money well spent.

Edited by kjbeggs

My wife and I have been very busy the last few weeks. We decided to take a break yesterday, and went for a drive. My wife, bless her, said we could even stop at a couple of liquor stores along the way. :cool: So, we did. :grin: I wasn't really looking for anything in particular, I was mainly interested in seeing what's out there and available. We stopped at a couple of places, including one store I'd never been to before. Most of the stuff they had seemed to be priced a bit high, (see my post in the What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today thread) but I did buy a bottle of SAOS 7 yr 99 proof. It was almost reasonable at $42.99. I bought a couple of the SAOS 7's when I was on vacation back in March. I liked it a lot, so I figured I'd grab another. Something good and different for the shelf.

Cheers! Joe

Picked up another Bookers, this was the center cut. They had two bottles of "oven buster" on the shelf. Seems the store i go to always has them three deep on the shelf.

Side note, agree with above about the ETL, had a bottle I picked up last year at a littler over priced ($36) but the place I go to regular has two on the shelf for $79.99 each. Left those...

The W12 bottles I picked up around this time last year, turned out to be exceptional FOR A $20 BOTTLE. The ones I had prior to that, I'd agree with the astringency comment.

Still a good pour for the price, but not worth hunting for and paying the ridiculous prices I've seen it marked up to online.

ETL is an excellent pour (to my palate), up to a $35.00 price tag. Much beyond that, it's not worth it.

Agree that Larceny, which is easy to find, and at a great price point, is money well spent.

4R OESF from a local store pick. On a W12 note the most recent bottle I have ( after an extended hiatus from the shelf) is easily the best as its predecessors ( from when it was always on the shelf) had a but too much bitter char on the finish, this one is the best balanced W12 I have had.

Got some throwback pricing on 4R OESV (57.7%, 10 yr 4 mo) and OBSK (53.7%, 9 yr 10 mo), so I couldn't resist.

wow, great price for 1792. I believe it is $32 up here.

I was told by the owner that in order for them to get an allocation of the BTAC and VW stuff, they had to sell x number of 1792s, so much of a certain wine, and some amount of some gin. He said this is how the distributors work down here and so he was really trying to move the 1792. It really sucks if that is how it works, especially if Sazerac is ok with such practices.

I was told by the owner that in order for them to get an allocation of the BTAC and VW stuff, they had to sell x number of 1792s, so much of a certain wine, and some amount of some gin. He said this is how the distributors work down here and so he was really trying to move the 1792. It really sucks if that is how it works, especially if Sazerac is ok with such practices.

Is it really worth it to go to such lengths? I don't work in the industry, but if a store is selling at or near MSRP, there isn't a tremendous amount of profit to be made on the limited number of BTAC/VW bottles they'll sell. I gather it's a huge pain in the butt to field all the inquiries and deal with disappointed/persistent/obnoxious customers this time of year. I know there are liquor store owners or employees who are members here - is it just the cachet that comes with having those bottles available in your store? Is there some other benefit? I'm glad you do it, but why do you do it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.