What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Summer 2009

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

BTW: the Fighting Cock (103 proof, 6yr) really does taste like a flat Old Fitz BiB.

I much much prefer the Old Fitz BiB, much more complex. maybe it's a bit of youth (4yr) juice in it. Someone here mentioned that this might be the same mash bill, I think it is the same thing. just the age and profile seem to be different....

that and the Old Fitz BiB is $2 cheaper!

----------

I'm gonna vat a lil OO into EWBL here in a sec/up next for an experiment.

Evan Williams BIB White Label. There's seems to be a similarity to OGD 114, tonight. Maybe, I just have 114 on the brain. :crazy:

BTW: the Fighting Cock (103 proof, 6yr) really does taste like a flat Old Fitz BiB.

I much much prefer the Old Fitz BiB, much more complex. maybe it's a bit of youth (4yr) juice in it. Someone here mentioned that this might be the same mash bill, I think it is the same thing. just the age and profile seem to be different....

that and the Old Fitz BiB is $2 cheaper!

----------

I'm gonna vat a lil OO into EWBL here in a sec/up next for an experiment.

Old Fitz is a wheater. FC ain't. But I do see the simularity. I too am a big fan of the Old Fitz BiB (yes the current one). Rebel Reserve is very similar to Old Fitz too.

Having the last pour from a bottle of OCPR for now. Might have something a little later too. :bigeyes: Joe

Finishing up the evening with a nice pour of a split label WT12. The smell of the now empty glass, almost matches the goodness of the liquid that had been in it.

Saz Jr.

Antique

THe Antique has a nice touch of cherry and very little smoke. Not bad tonight.

As the weather was hot I did something very unusual for me yesterday. I made a bourbon drink with Yellowstone 86 proof (whiskey sour) and had it before outdoor grilling. It wasn’t bad at all. After dinner I had JDSS with black coffee and dark Italian chocolate. Yummy!

Leif

With the news of the recent jumps in price on the Lot B and Pappy 15, and the shape of the economy , I'm hitting the BT , EWSB and regular Four Roses more often.

Ran some errands today and stopped in my local to sniff around. Was always curious about a few of the bottom shelf bottles, so on a whim I snagged a 750 of Ezra Brooks (NAS).

Ugly stuff. Well, to be fair, it's not really that bad, just not good. I may try to finish it tonight so I don't have to drink it tomorrow.;)

If I get one I don't like I relegate it to cooking bourbon, marinades, a splash on sauteed mushrooms, etc. This'll works just fine in that realm.

Might have to get back on the sho-chu later.

Cheers!

Tasted the RWBRADLEY selections tonight. 60+ year old stuff.

Did a side by side with two Willet 7yr olds.

WTKS current, a selection from a store I cant recall, and a pewter top.

Red Stagg (ughh)

4 Roses Yellow

VWFRR

4 Roses Single (now on)

Well i love the last two, and now I think I have fallen in like with the WTKS pewter. Shame what that juice has become.

I had a great time tasting with DeanSheen and his lovely wife. She whipped up a wonderful chicken curry and rice for dinner with the perfect desert (for me) to go with bourbon...a cherry tart. Cherries and bourbon...yum!

The un-named WTKS was the Willie Wallace bottle. It seems to be improving as it sits in the back of the cabinet and for the first time I didn't find it offensve.

Sneaking in the Red Stag was a bit of a dirty trick, but I wanted it to be a totally blind taste with no prejudice. The results were very predictable :puke:

Good news: Shoshoni mentioned a vatting that I've enjoyed many times, MM and OWA. Had it last night again, and it was superb.

Bad news: I got my clock cleaned at poker.

Although delicious, the vatting did not make up for the pain...

tonight I am had a touch of:

WT101

BT (my new standard cheapy)

FC...

I have been trying to choke down that damn FC I bought earlier this week...

Suddenly it ain't so bad, about halfway gone and had a lil breathing time...

or maybe my palette is just off tonight.

I'm gonna build another EWblack & OO mix here in a minute and see how I palette that this eve. So far every time I have done it I have been very pleased.

(that's 2 pts EW to 1 pt OO, for the record)

cheap + cheap should = cheap, but it's pretty tasty.

Dickel 8 before outdoors grilling and ORVW 10-107 with the soft almond cake for dessert last night.

Leif

Last night was for Four Roses. FRSmB, followed by Mariage 2008, then FRSB 2009. For the night, at least, the Mariage was the favorite.

Was gifted a bottle of EC18 tonight, a late birthday present. I'm liking this one a lot. Not real heavy on the musty woodiness, which I like, but there is ample wood character, a little saddle soap, tannins on the finish. This one's not real complex, and the finish is shorter than I'd like, but it's some fine hooch.

Cheers!

I finally cracked one of my bottles of Pappy 15 year...I had been waiting to develop my palate a little more as well as get a better feeling for my likes and dislikes. My benchmark had been VW lot b. The good news is I like Pappy 15 a lot...I was concerned as this is the first bourbon that I have had in the 100+ proof range...I was a little gun shy as I thought the heat would be too much for me. Boy was I wrong, Pappy 15 has so much flavor and character that it's rediculous! I had a pour of lot b just to see where the 15 year stood and the lot b is similar with less heat but it also doesn't have the complexity of flavors that the 15 year has. It also wasn't as smooth on the finish IMO. Keep in mind that the lot b is still a mighty fine bourbon but at least last night Pappy 15 was my gold standard! I'm really happy that I opened it but sad that I only have 3 bottles as I'm thinking that it will go pretty fast!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!