What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Summer 2009

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After multiple Cahiprinas at a Brazillian event....I had a KC @ the next bar now I'm home slipping into the sweet bliss of Four Roses Single Barrel and some Anthony Rother.

FWIW, it would take more than a few Cahiprinas to get me to agree to a Brazilian...event or not. :lol:

My wife's family just arrived in town, so after a Sunday dinner at California Pizza Kitchen, I'm enjoying a nice neat pour of an 08 OFBB. Could be the first of many this week. ;) If I'm my usual self, they'll need more than me...

I am alternating back and forth with BT and WT101...

buttery - charcoal - buttery - charcoal - buttery - charcoal - buttery - charcoal - buttery - charcoal - buttery - charcoal - buttery - charcoal - buttery - charcoal - buttery - charcoal - buttery - charcoal -

it's a quite nice afternoon in my dark air conditioned lair.

Cheers!

Sippin' on my newly purchased OGD 114. $20. Barrel proof...and $20. Does it get any better than that? Beam is the 800 lb Gorilla (or, is that 600 lb Gorilla? :confused:). Whatever. They've done some things that we all can question, or gripe about. But, this baby makes everything good, with me. As always, I'm getting that slightly burnt corner of the brownie pan...:yum:

I agree fully with your post. But specifically, I want to talk about the burnt brownie pan. I've gotten a burnt pie crust note in OGD BIB before, but had not noted this burnt brownie note in OGD 114 until today. Maybe it's all suggestive, but right now, before dinner, with this bourbon just slightly chilled - but not on the rocks - that note is really hitting my tongue. Just beautiful. I fear this label is not long for this world, but that's just paranoia...I hope.

Regards,

Tim

I agree fully with your post. But specifically, I want to talk about the burnt brownie pan. I've gotten a burnt pie crust note in OGD BIB before, but had not noted this burnt brownie note in OGD 114 until today. Maybe it's all suggestive, but right now, before dinner, with this bourbon just slightly chilled - but not on the rocks - that note is really hitting my tongue. Just beautiful. I fear this label is not long for this world, but that's just paranoia...I hope.

Regards,

Tim

That burnt brownie thing hits me every time, Tim. I suspect the burnt pie crust is just your take of what we're both getting out of this. Pie, brownie, muffin, cookie, cake...whatever it is, it's good. :yum: And, it's the reason that OGD 114 is one of the few bourbons that I really believe I could nail in a blind tasting. And, believe me, there are few in this category. Funny that you should mention having it chilled. 114 is one that I usually chill a bit. I just love this bourbon. I've had the earlier years of the 114, but I prefer what they're doing now, to tell the truth. And, $20!!! Do you believe it?! $20!! I hope, too, that your fear for the label is unfounded. I will certainly hoard the tar out of it, if I hear bad news.

That burnt brownie thing hits me every time, Tim.

Smoking Joe & Tboner, is this burnt pie crust/brownie much like the biscuit I hear about? I have not had OGD 114 yet.

the OGD86 has never impressed me.

but the burnt brownie/pie crust has me entirely intrigued.

I love heavy char of WT juices, is this in line with that?

Phan, I think that pie crust, burnt brownie, or even biscuity overtones may be describing individual variations of the same thing. The OGD line is yeasty, as a lot of Beam products are. Couple that with a nice char, and to me, this may account for the brownie or Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder tinge. It very well could be described in another manner, but in the end it's the same thing. I think you'll find the 114 to be vastly superior to the 86. You owe it to yourself to give it a whirl. And, you know what the good part is? If you hate it, you're only out $20.

OFBB 2008 and JDSS before dinner yesterday and ORVW 10-107 with the hazelnut cake for dessert. All were good as hell, but I think the JD tasted best that day.

Leif

OFBB 2008 and JDSS before dinner yesterday and ORVW 10-107 with the hazelnut cake for dessert. All were good as hell, but I think the JD tasted best that day.

Leif

WT Rye and ginger ale.....It was a hot miserable day putting in a false floor in a grain bin. Really, I'm not even sure I'm going to finish it. In any case, finish it or not the next thing I'm going to pour will be watered down Gatorade.

Better finish it or you wont be able to run the dryer.

I didn't finish the drink........The floor I finished, well, all but the last of the flashing. Tomorrow we'll finish that and install the aeration fan. Its not really a drying bin, just dry storage, (as in there are no burners, just air). hot grain from the dryer will be run through the dry leg to fill the bin. We will be installing a 14" 3450rpm axial fan on the top of the bin to aleviate the condensation that occurs.

But hey, its real nice that someone on here knows what I'm talking about.

tonight my roommate and I hit the local pool hall...

a pitcher of Lone Star and...

(all neat and in order)

JB 8yr = boring, bubble gum is intersting.

KC = you can taste the lineage, only the extra yr and proof made it nice.

Bulleit = the most interesting mashbill, but after the 100 going down to the 90, we were a bit tongue burnt.

overall of the three common poors, Bulliet wins.

if I didn't have the JBB first though, the KC might be the tastiest...

but that's just proof.

and bars suck for tasting, those bottles breath way too much on most shelves.

but now I am home, repairing my pallate with some WT101 and some BT!

Leif, I know you can't get a lot of the stuff we have over here in the states. I wish it was easier for you to "procure" some items. I must say this though, I do envy you on being able to get JDSS. I've been lucky enough to taste it a couple of times. I've had all the current JD bottlings and Dickel 12. As far as the Tennessee whiskies go, the JDSS is mighty fine. Have a pour for me next time. Cheers! :toast: Joe

Yes it is really a mighty fine pour Joe. It does very a bit between different barrels but it is always good and at its best it can match any bourbon to my personal taste. I only wish Dickel could bottle something at 100 proof or more as well.

Leif

I had WT 8Y and OGD 114 yesterday. 2 of my regulars and both is very trustfully and tasty for a very fair price.

Leif

Well I hope you get the rest of your work done. We had a small farm we ran up untill about 5 years ago, most of it rented. We usually ran between 4-500 acres a year, wheat and beans usually.

Sometimes I miss it, but I never miss baling hay!

I didn't finish the drink........The floor I finished, well, all but the last of the flashing. Tomorrow we'll finish that and install the aeration fan. Its not really a drying bin, just dry storage, (as in there are no burners, just air). hot grain from the dryer will be run through the dry leg to fill the bin. We will be installing a 14" 3450rpm axial fan on the top of the bin to aleviate the condensation that occurs.

But hey, its real nice that someone on here knows what I'm talking about.

This may belong in the cocktail section, but for warm weather I have been experimenting with some fee brother's bitters. The other night I had Eagle rare with peach and Henry McKenna single barrel with rhubarb. They took the edge off the relentless heat!

Still working on that bottle of OCPR. You never know. I might just be able to finish it tonight. Joe

VOB BIB, and perhaps a little Old Fitz BIB later on tonight. Looking forward to seeing if the NL can figure out how to play tonight.

Noah's Mill and WL Weller SR

Joe, good luck with the OCPR.

and I've followed that up after dinner with some Blanton's and Old Fitz Prime.

presently watching the all-star game.

alternating with some good cheapies.

OO, FC, OFitz BiB and now a touch of WT101.

Noah's Mill and WL Weller SR

Joe, good luck with the OCPR.

and I've followed that up after dinner with some Blanton's and Old Fitz Prime.

I just cracked my own Noah's Mill and am trying it for the first time. It has a very strong rye character that almost reminds me of the WTRye101, some nice char and some good sweetness.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!