What Bourbon Are You Drinking? Summer 2009

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A big weekend, so I'm following up with a big whiskey. An '08 Stagg. I don't hit the Stagg often, but when I do, it tells me who's the Boss.

Old Fitz BIB, better than the last Heaven Hill whiskey I had which was FC.

really? is the FC close to the OF BiB in value?

or obviously better/worse?

I haven't tried the FC yet, I figured it was marketing crap swill...

really? is the FC close to the OF BiB in value?

or obviously better/worse?

I haven't tried the FC yet, I figured it was marketing crap swill...

I think its about the same price. FC caries an age statement of 6 years but it seems barrels chosen for the brand are thin, sweet and a bit hot. I think it is meant to be a little rough because of the way it is marketed. Old Fitz tastes like a less sweet more complex version. I don't know the age (Im guessing a bit younger, 5 or 5 and a half?) but i was getting a unique varnish quality that was reminding me of an end table my grandmother had. Mind you, not in a bad way.

I wouldn't say FC is swill but it ain't nothing to write home about either. Too bad, realy. I think a sfift in flavoe profile to a richer and less sweet profile would improve the brand.

I will def have to try FC now.

I am intrigued, especially realizing it comes at good proof and I love Old Fitz BiB.

(I should not have used the term 'swill'.)

Presently I am enjoying a glass of Weller SR on the rocks.

Bulleit on the rocks with a vengeance,

I just posted on the P R & C thread,

so I know I'll need it.

I enjoyed your post Oscar. Tonight I'm finally gonna try some Old Taylor from 1983 that a kind member passed along to me. Then I reckon it'll be some BT ...neat. AsI get to hang with the boss tomorrow and pick out some BT barrels in Kentucky. I'm pretty darn stoked. :cool:

I get to hang with the boss tomorrow and pick out some BT barrels in Kentucky. I'm pretty darn stoked. :cool:

Tell us more about this.

What are ya'll tasting?

Will Brett be there?

I assume he is the "boss".

Get some more Weller 12yo!!!

Tell us more about this.

What are ya'll tasting?

Will Brett be there?

I assume he is the "boss".

Get some more Weller 12yo!!!

Brett will be there...He's the boss. So, I imagine we'll be drinking with our hands. :cool: I'll post some tasting notes after we get back tomorrow.

While in KY Joe stop by 4R's and see if you can get the 4R1B 2009 Barrel Strength up to Chi-Town.

...but i was getting a unique varnish quality that was reminding me of an end table my grandmother had. Mind you, not in a bad way.

Were you teething on your grandma's end table?

Yesterday I had OFBB 2007 and today OFBB 2008 and Stagg 2008. All tasted very good, maybe the 2008 BB was a bit better than 2007. This Stagg defiantly need quit a bit of water to my personal taste.

Leif

Between work and business trip, I've done very little imbibing recently so Mon evening I enjoyed an '85 Old Overholt. This rye has a very appealing floral nose to it. Last night, standard FRSB. Busyness is getting in the way of drinking.

A nice pour of Old Ezra 7 yr 101 is getting me through the final innings of a Braves nailbiter with the Cubbies.

WT 12 year split. This bottle's been sitting in the back of the cabinet so figured it was time to pull a glass.

Sipping on some FRSB as I ease into the second half of my week of vacation.

Last night and tonight I have been having some Bulleit. I didn't care for it when I first got it so I set it back and let it breathe for a couple weeks and it's much better even enjoyable.

Gonna try some more Knob Creek . . . what the hell, it was a gift.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

What can I say. Sometimes I'm an animal. :cool: :cool:

smell....the smell....of the varnish.....I can't stop laughing

Sorry... but I just had to share the mental image I had.:lol:

Sorry... but I just had to share the mental image I had.:lol:

Don't apologize I thought it was funny, too

After reading the "real deal or promotional gimmick" thread which had turned to a discussion of Booker's I decided to have a pour. This bottle is 8 years, 2 months old and 126.6 proof (Batch C97-A-31). TBoner (Tim) has said that most of the bottles he has seen recently are on the young side of the 6-8 year age range. I haven't looked at the age of what's on store shelves lately. I hope if Booker's has been bottled a bit young lately its just because of the "drought" and not something permanent. I like the batches that are close to 8 years old.

A couple of nice pours of Old Forester Signature. Muted caramel. Starts dryish, but fills out nicely. With fresh wood on the finish. This is a bourbon. Very enjoyable, this evening. I've been having a ton of fun with a wide range of inexpensive pours, lately. Folks, you don't have to break the bank, and you don't have to go back to dusties from 1972, to find outstanding bourbons out there.

Gonna try some more Knob Creek . . . what the hell, it was a gift.

nothing wrong with it, just a touch over-priced, still a great pour, I am sure you are enjoying it.

Presently I am having my first taste of Buffalo Trace 90.

Very easy, is the best way I can describe it, vanilla and a hint of sandalwood? medium body, not as full as I like (although nice for 90 proof) and a (again) easy finish.

Nothing really sticks out, nothing offends.

This would make a prefect inexpensive bar call bourbon...

and probably is at good establishments.

good shit for the buck.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!